Plasma Cutter Project,, WhAtSyOuRgUeSs ??

/ Plasma Cutter Project,, WhAtSyOuRgUeSs ?? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
OK, the gift wrapping, and unwrapping is over,, and I ate too much,, AND the weather is beautiful this week!!
I figure it is time to start a project,,

I haven't done much with the plasma cutter I bought this past summer,, so this project will be plasma cutter intensive,,
The oil tank I was given is an indoor tank, that was used outdoors,, so, the bottom of the tank resembles a screen door.
That does not hurt the project,,

The plus side of the bottom being rusted away,, there is nothing combustible inside of the tank!!
That all drained, or evaporated a decade ago,,

So,, what is your guess as to what I am going to try to make out of this 275 gallon fuel oil tank ??
rolleyes.gif

Hint as to what it is,, I have never seen one this large before, and I watch a LOT of YouTube videos!!
biggrin.gif

To start, an end was "precisely plasma cut"
10_1_20.gif
dizzy.gif
laughing.gif
maybe, I should say, "plasma cut,, good enough"
blob_fire.gif

cQ2kHx0.jpg

What do you think I am trying to concoct??

Make your guess,,, please,,

/ Plasma Cutter Project,, WhAtSyOuRgUeSs ?? #2  
A musical drum. Don't remember the correct name, but have seen them made from propane tanks.

/ Plasma Cutter Project,, WhAtSyOuRgUeSs ?? #3  
No idea but those cuts are sure gnarly. Im no plasma cutter expert but something is not set right. Mine makes those cuts look like they were done with a razor blade.

/ Plasma Cutter Project,, WhAtSyOuRgUeSs ??
No idea but those cuts are sure gnarly. Im no plasma cutter expert but something is not set right. Mine makes those cuts look like they were done with a razor blade.

After tapping the tank with a hammer a few times, there was almost a gallon of accumulated rust inside the tank.

I think the oxide layer inside the tank was stopping the cutter from cutting properly,,
It was sorta like the steel was laying on a board, the cut could not get all the way through the steel,, easily.

That tank had sat open for probably a decade or more, before I got it.

That is my guess as to why it looks so gnarly,,

Bang, BANG, BANG,, the drum is getting some sheetmetal adjustment ??

usTzXcz.jpg

My guess..an elf trap.
If I thought there was an elf on my property,, I would be whipping up a trap,,
What would the trap be called?? "Hav-AN-Elf" ,, ``,,~~ ?? ~~ `` :ROFLMAO:

Everyone keeps telling me that I am always trying to put square plugs, in round holes,,
well, in this case, I took a square (rectangular) tank, and made it into a round shape..

Boy, won't they be surprised!

m0lYr1f.jpg

This is why you MUST have at least TWO tractors!!

Plasma cutter time for the OTHER end,,,

m7cnVBA.jpg

It appears that two of the cuts went past the mark,, OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

When I started, the tank side was 43" tall, and 27" wide.
After releasing the chains, there was some spring back, but, the dimensions ended up at 40" high, and 33" wide. That 33" is good enough.

ex27lsr.jpg

These tabs are bent in to form a heat shield, reflecting the heat back in, rather than directly getting to the drum.

In the very back, you can see the amount of rust that has fallen off the tank, and was trapped in the tank. I think it ended up filling half of a 5 gallon bucket.

My other option was to cut the end out, and throw it away, this way, the end still serves a purpose,, helping to retain heat.

The oil drum looked so "Majestic" I figured it needed a "CROWN"!!

wXr56Ye.jpg