plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #1  

firemanpat2910

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 2910II
I have done several searches, got lots of mixed info. heres what I have, what I need is real life experiences, and any long term fixes.
a log pushed through the grill of a Kubota L2900. It punctured the battery, then pushed the battery against the radiator. It did not puncture the radiator. what it did do however is snap off the plastic radiator support. there is a clean break kinda arrow head shaped. you can see the coolant. I have the boken piece, it looks like 100% of the hole. I am sure the correct thing to do is replace the radiator. Before doing that I wanted to see if anyone had long term luck with any type of glue, cement, epoxy or JB weld in a simular repair. I was thinking of testing pvc glue to see how it reacts with thai type of plastic? This place is such a wealth of knowledge, anybody have any real world fixes that they have done?

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #2  
plastic tank rad repairs are dicey. it's usually a nylon material..

here are some hits on repair.. easier than me typing them out:

Plastic Radiator Repair

this place sells replacement tanks of many styles.. might have yours:

Plastic Radiators

Now.. all this said and done.. I'l tell you i HAVE used JBweld to temporarilly fix a plastic tank leak. I later replaced the rad itself as it had a bent but non leaking core, when the rad finally came in a week later.

I scored the plastic around the repair..ie.. scuffed it with sand paper, then cleaned with solvent. pretty sure I used hexane or naptha or laquer thinner / carb cleaner

mixed up the jb weld, if you have a chip out piece, I'd place it back, and trowel over a patch to include an area about a half inch around the repair.. once cured to touch ( 5 minutes? ), I'd add another layer.

then I'd let it cure at least 24 hours.

good luck.

if you have a plastic welding kit ( harbor freight has them ).. I'd repair it that way first, then jbweld over it.

keep an eye on it.. you never know what it will do at 14 psi or whatever it pressurizes too.

the 200-300' won't be an issue for the jbweld, though heat expansion may cause the joint to give way.. all depends ont he thermal expansion characteristics of the nylon comprised tank, and the jbweld.. if similar enogh.. moght be no issue.

incedentally I know a guy that used BONDO to fix a metal rad one time.. just long enough to get home from being on the road. yeah.. it worked too.. ;)

good luck.. post back results. and do keep an eye on it.. your tractor engine is worth alot more than a new rad.. so keep water in it!!!

PS.. I'm not personally reccomending a repair.. officially i'm reccomending a replacement for $safety$...

soundguy

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #3  
We tryed a lot of different products, Nothing would hold over a few days. Your radiator has to deal with extremes. Don't blow a motor or crack a head trying to dodge the purchase? If anyone else has suceeded, I'm sure they will perk-up, soon?

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #4  
I tried every product that I could find to save me $1200.00 on a new radiator with no luck. The only way to permanently fix a plastic radiator tank is to weld it. In my situation that wouldn't work either, unfortunately. I would research welding it back together. Try it, if it doesn't work, your no worse off then you were before. Might see if you can just get the plastic tank and replace it, before replacing the whole rad.

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #5  
   / plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #6  
A radiator shop near me is now repairing aluminum/plastic rad's via proprietary methods. In the past these were just replaced but with the high cost of them, technology and innovation has stepped up to offer another option.

I would locate a radiator shop in your area that has kept up with the latest radiator technology and ask their guidance/help.

As others have said it's not worth losing an engine over.

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #7  
I have used Loc-Tite industrial epoxy one time on a truck radiator. It worked good, ran the truck every day for over two Weeks in the sumer with no problems. When I finally got the correct new radiator I kept the repaired one around for a spare. I wasn't the best looking repair job but it worked. I guess I could have sprayed some black paint on it to make it look better.

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #8  
A radiator shop near me is now repairing aluminum/plastic rad's via proprietary methods. In the past these were just replaced but with the high cost of them, technology and innovation has stepped up to offer another option.

I would locate a radiator shop in your area that has kept up with the latest radiator technology and ask their guidance/help.

As others have said it's not worth losing an engine over.

In my area there no longer any radiator shops. There used to be on in almost every town. Now there are none.
If you do find a radiator shop see if they can replace the tank.
Bill

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #9  
The hot air welding process is the only possible permanent repair. Big problem is matching a filler rod to the base material. Different plastics do not mix well. I have done this on RV sewage tanks and it is tricky especially overhead. If you try it; get it out of the tractor and in a flat posistion and as clean as possible. Go slow and easy till you get the hang of it. Your Kubota dealer may be able to get the material spec from Kubota, if you try them they will refer you to the closest dealer, I have been there on other issues.

Ron

/ plastic radiator repair. Please give it a look #10  
I know a nylon material is commonly used. I googled the issue a day or so ago and there are at least 3 possibilities, with nylon being inthe top.

good luck to the OP

soundguy