Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made...

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #131  
Fram has likely made made hundreds of millions of filters. They had an issue....it was well known. It was resolved. Some people move on, others dwell on it and continue to hold a grudge. To each their own. I'll continue using fram
...just saying. Use what you want, it's your buck. But -
A recent oil filter comparison on one of the Hot Rod car shows reported the filtering quality of 5 major filter brands. Test included not only flow rates but filtering capability. K&N came out far above the rest with Fram at the very bottom.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #132  
A recent oil filter comparison on one of the Hot Rod car shows reported the filtering quality of 5 major filter brands. Test included not only flow rates but filtering capability. K&N came out far above the rest with Fram at the very bottom.
Gem99ultra,

Please post link to the oil filter comparison if you have it.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #133  
Gem99ultra,

Please post link to the oil filter comparison if you have it.
And what specific model of filters. They all have 2 or 3 or even more different levels of quality (and cost). Like napa/wix has silver, gold, platinum. And fram has ph. dg, tg, xg, etc

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #134  

Gem99ultra,

Some input on K&N at $16.99 vs Fram at $8.99 for Honda CRV filters purchased and cut open in Dec 2020. Based on the use of the Belleville spring used on both makes and the near identical construction and material used, I believe these filters are made by the same manufacturer and rebranded by K&N and Fram. None of the other 7 filters in comment 123 use the Belleville spring/ over pressure relief valve.

Notable differences. Fram uses heavy paper whereas K&N uses metal to end cap the filter media. Fram and K&N both use the same rubber gasket at screw on end BUT K&N has a lip that fits inside the rubber gasket whereas Fram does not. K&N does have a "bolt" head on end of filter housing for convenience. Other than the above, they appear identical.

The above is part of larger examination of filters presented in comment 123.

Food for thought.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made...
Now I'm not sure what to think

Attachments

• IMG_3079.jpg
    IMG_3079.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
   / Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #136  
Watching these guys work....no gloves, and eye/hearing protection. Though way to live.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #138  
I have a '16 CRV, so, based on a previous post, I was gonna pick up a Microgard filter for the next change.

This article kinda blows Microgard out of the water,, if you believe them,, (or anything else on the internet,,)

The list of where made is sort of long,, design changes,, then the video,,

The video even shot WIX in the foot !!
(Wix is my "go-to" filter when I don't want to think about which one)

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #139  
A spin on filter has a built in bypass valve in the event the filter clogs. On a cartridge filter, the bypass is built into where the filter mounts. All oil from the pump passes thru the filter before going to the engine passages. At highway speeds, an oil pump will empty the pan before you can blink your eyes.

Bypass filters of the 40's and such use a small line, usually quarter inch to bleed off some of the oil and filter it, dumping it back into the system. Those days are long gone.
Amsoil and others still make bypass filters and Som Diesel engines have the as OEM.

/ Please tell me this is not the way oil filters are made... #140  
Amsoil and others still make bypass filters and Som Diesel engines have the as OEM.
ALL oil does not go thru the Filter at once. Much of it bypasses and some mag go thru on the next cycle.