Plowing with a rear blade.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #1  

IndyIan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
Well, today I had to flip the blade around and plow in reverse. The snow was just too dense and heavy, enough to make the driveline start chattering when driving over it pulling the blade. I was surprised how much more snow the blade and tractor can push in reverse as it was rolling off snow balls 3' tall off of a 12-14" tall blade. I can't say it was comfortable going backwards for an hour but I got the job done and learned that I shouldn't always wait until the storm is over...

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #2  

Iowan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota's
I use mine in reverse to clean up after the city plow goes by.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #3  

Thomas

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSD w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.
Plus one can take tighter corners

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #4  

Buppies

Tractor
Kubota L5240 Toro 60inch Z Master 21 inch walk behind Polaris 900 hunter edition 30in toro walk behind
Have always pushed backwards just a little hard on the neck and back

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #6  

kiotiken

Veteran Member
Tractor
2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab
I've only done it a few times. I did push backwards a little to hard into a pile of dirt in the summer a few years ago (with a much smaller tractor than our DK's) and snapped the top link in two, so you need to be careful not to overdo it or hit something.

/ Plowing with a rear blade.
OP
I

IndyIan

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE HST
I have to take the blade off the 3pth to flip it which is why I've never tried it backwards. Anytime I needed to push snow i just used the bucket but the blade is nice as it's sort of self regulating. Just drop it and go.
My driveway is a 1/4 mile and being able to plow forwards at nearly full speed in midrange is nice to get it done fast but that method isn't good for a huge amount of snow.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #8  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Have you tried taking multiple cuts of the depth of snow, say 1/3 at a time using the same method with your bucket?
Cut the top 1/3 then take another sweep, then final clean up cut?

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #9  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
One thing I learned several years ago is that the lift arms are more vulnerable to damage when pushing in reverse. I remember having to use a come along hooked to the top link connection of my old Ford 2000 to raise one side of the blade so I could limp back to the barn. One of the lift arms cracked in half while I was bucking the piles back at the end of the driveway. IIRC it was around -10ºF that day, it was miserable. If I push with my blade in reverse it is slow and easy so there is very little momentum if it catches on anything.

/ Plowing with a rear blade. #10  

deerseeker001

Tractor
International 2500a with Loader
i use the loader bucket and back-blade at the same time does good job.