Plugging in generator to your house dangerous?

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
So I have another thread about generators/inverters and looking at getting my place set up in case of emergency.

So that got me thinking that the plug configuration is backwards? I have watched some YouTube’s on hooking everything up and most people plug into the generator then go plug into the house.

Well, seeing that the 14l-30 plug “tangs’ or plug metal is exposed and hot with power from the generator, that seems pretty dangerous and I think the whole configuration is backwards. I would want my generator to have a male plug and my house to be a female plug? Then I could safely connect everything. But I am sure it won’t change but I am surprised there are not more accidents with people fumbling with hot 14l-30 plugs and getting 30 amp pumped into them or their dog when they accidentally drop the plug trying to lock it into the house plug in a storm…

But at least anyone using a generator should know to plug into your house then go plug into the generator second…but maybe there is something I don’t know about a 14l-30 plug. Certainly possible.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #2  
So I have another thread about generators/inverters and looking at getting my place set up in case of emergency.

So that got me thinking that the plug configuration is backwards? I have watched some YouTube’s on hooking everything up and most people plug into the generator then go plug into the house.

Well, seeing that the 14l-30 plug “tangs’ or plug metal is exposed and hot with power from the generator, that seems pretty dangerous and I think the whole configuration is backwards. I would want my generator to have a male plug and my house to be a female plug? Then I could safely connect everything. But I am sure it won’t change but I am surprised there are not more accidents with people fumbling with hot 14l-30 plugs and getting 30 amp pumped into them or their dog when they accidentally drop the plug trying to lock it into the house plug in a storm…

But at least anyone using a generator should know to plug into your house then go plug into the generator second…but maybe there is something I don’t know about a 14l-30 plug. Certainly possible.
Proper operating procedures are essential for staying safe in my mind. Properly setup equipment helps reduce the potential for accidents. (The more interlocks and guards, the lower the training level for the operator in my experience; at some level, some things are "don't try this at home" and reserved for qualified personnel.

The double male ended cords are nicknamed "suicide cords" for a reason. They are very dangerous. It is all too easy for various mistakes to be made that are lethal, grid damaging, or damaging to your own wiring and equipment. A female outlet on the house would be dangerous as well, for the same reasons that there is the potential for exposed high voltage contacts.

The safe, code approved method is to put a transfer switch in that switches the house supply from the grid to your generator. That enables a female outlet that is only connected to the generator side of the switch, so it is only "hot" when the generator is plugged in. (Never having exposed "hot" contacts.)

For certain main service panels, and for certain AHJ, a generator interlock maybe permitted on your main panel.

Around here, meter integrated main service panels are popular and they require fairly extensive requiring to install a transfer switch. I don't know about your locale.

There is quite a bit of information available on the web.

All the best,

Peter

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #3  
That's why they are nicknamed "Kill Cords".

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #4  

The cord's male end plugs into the generator, the female cord end plugs into the house receptacle (male). Nothing powered is exposed.
With the interlock on the panel, the generator connection on the house cannot be powered off the grid.

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous?
Proper operating procedures are essential for staying safe in my mind. Properly setup equipment helps reduce the potential for accidents. (The more interlocks and guards, the lower the training level for the operator in my experience; at some level, some things are "don't try this at home" and reserved for qualified personnel.

The double male ended cords are nicknamed "suicide cords" for a reason. They are very dangerous. It is all too easy for various mistakes to be made that are lethal, grid damaging, or damaging to your own wiring and equipment. A female outlet on the house would be dangerous as well, for the same reasons that there is the potential for exposed high voltage contacts.

The safe, code approved method is to put a transfer switch in that switches the house supply from the grid to your generator. That enables a female outlet that is only connected to the generator side of the switch, so it is only "hot" when the generator is plugged in. (Never having exposed "hot" contacts.)

For certain main service panels, and for certain AHJ, a generator interlock maybe permitted on your main panel.

Around here, meter integrated main service panels are popular and they require fairly extensive requiring to install a transfer switch. I don't know about your locale.

There is quite a bit of information available on the web.

All the best,

Peter
i have a transfer switch. I think I am the one backwards…. I have a female plug for my transfer switch…. That is wrong. I will have to replace it. As usual something else to fix!

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #6  
If you look at it as an extension cord, the male plug goes into the power source (generator) and the protected end (female) plugs onto a semi protected male plug inside my transfer switch box. The male plug in the transfer switch does not have power on its prong’s until properly plugged into the extension cord .

/ Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #7  
When we purchased our home the generator plugged into a female outlet plug with one of those "kill cords".

I replaced the plug with this one and a standard generator cord.

KC

Edit: The outside generator plug was connected to a transfer switch electrical panel located next to the main house panel.

Last edited:
   / Plugging in generator to your house dangerous? #8  
Just plug it up before you crank the generator. Turn off house main first. No power, no drain, no pull on generator. So it won't be cranking under a load. I don't understand what the problem is. Several plug it in the dryer plug to hot the house.

When we purchased our home the generator plugged into a female outlet plug with one of those "kill cords".

I replaced the plug with this one and a standard generator cord.

KC

Edit: The outside generator plug was connected to a transfer switch electrical panel located next to the main house panel.
I have one ordered! Is that plug color coded with red, black, white and green? This is in my box.
410F0498-BA0F-4828-AAE3-D288031C78B8.jpeg

This this the front….
EC748DBF-4124-48CD-8311-CEA5D1E36A30.jpeg