Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics #1  

AbbeDude

Tractor
New Holland T2310 + 250TL FEL
Specs on the tractor hydraulic system: Type – Open Center, Pump Capacity – 9.8 Gal. per minute, Relief Valve Setting – 172 bar (2500 PSI) Norwood supplied hoses for the winch motor with #10 O-ring male fittings. and are rated at max pressure of 3000psi. but they state that one should not exceed a pressure of 1700psi while winching. I will be a light duty user for the most part, not being in the logging biz or wanting to be. We purchased a property north of here, mostly forested and had to cut down numerous trees to build a cabin. Those logs need to be hauled to a less conspicuous spot on the property (most are poplar and not too desirable to induce someone else to move them for their purposes). We will have other trees fall on the property and in that event will want to skid them to a holding area.
The tractor hydraulics only have the FEL feeds and valve and 3 Pt. hitch but no rear remote. The suggested solution from the dealer is to purchase a rear remote kit #84171956, bungy the valve in forward position (no detent). This kit has a $ 1400 - $ 1600 price tag so I am looking for a less expensive solution and I'm hoping you folks might say go for it or point out the error of my ways. Since the control for the FEL is forward of center tractor, I won't have easy access to stopping the winch but this is un-necessary given that if you release the tension on the wraps around the capstan. If I can live with that constraint, are there any other issues to consider before purchasing two 114" hoses with the appropriate fittings to take advantage of the quick disconnect fittings under the FEL control?

The cost savings makes sense since my log hauling days will be limited compared to FEL usage around the property. Thanks again for your thoughts on this project!

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics #2  

Harry in Ky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
I'm not at all familiar with tractor mounted winches, but is this something one operates while standing behind the tractor, or from the seat? Assuming you looking to add a single spool valve to the existing tractor hydraulics to power this? Is that basically all that's required here?

If that's the case, I'm sure you can do that for under $500 if that suits the budget. Having a remote valve on a tractor is handy for all sorts of things.

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics #3  

gasman1075

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
I did the same thing on my JD790 and just put in a power beyond kit in the back and plumbed if off that. I think I may still have the valves and hoses if you are anywhere near upstate ny

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics
OP
A

AbbeDude

Tractor
Yes, after positioning the tractor, let's say to haul the log up a short hill, to fetch it close enough to lift the butt of the log with the 3 pt, you jump on the tractor and skid it to the destination. When using the winch you are generally behind to the side keeping the rope snug after throwing several wraps around the winch. Friction is your friend. Release the tension and even though winch is spinning, the log stops moving until you apply tension to the loose end of the rope in your hand. I guess I'm not familiar enough with the. Kits out there to know which one would fit my tractor. Do these kits require fabricating stuff or are they pretty easily plumbed to the existing hydraulics?

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics #5  

Harry in Ky

Platinum Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers ED 40
I don't know about kits, I work primarily one step at a time. Decide what's needed, source the valve(s), fittings, couplers. etc. Fabricate what I need that can't be sourced. Sometimes I make the hoses as needed, sometimes I use ready made hoses, depending on space, price and what's available.

In your case you already have loader hydraulics with power beyond available so that part is done. It's a matter of choices now. Choosing a valve, choosing where to mount it, choosing the hose and fitting size/style, and choosing where to source what you've chosen. The rest is just nuts and bolts.

We can discuss details if you wish.

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics
OP
A

AbbeDude

Tractor
I did the same thing on my JD790 and just put in a power beyond kit in the back and plumbed if off that. I think I may still have the valves and hoses if you are anywhere near upstate ny
Michigan..but thanks for the opportunity. Don't know what that stuff would weigh and cost to ship?

/ Plumbing Norwood Skidwinch to tractor hydraulics #7  

gasman1075

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
too heavy too far. if I can find pictures I will post them