Plywood cary-all for the FEL???

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #1  

53gravely

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7610 HSD
Hi,

Need ideas for a large plywood "carry-all" that ties into my existing FEL bucket on my 7610. The little bucket is almost useless for bulk stuff....

I want to be able to carry a boatload of leaves, fallen sticks, grass clippings, maybe even cord wood....about the capacity of the large plywood-sided garden cart that I used to pull behind the little lawn tractor.

Ideally, It should fold flat for storage so it takes up less room in the already crowded barn and should tie to the bucket hooks in under 30 seconds.

I searched "bulk bucket", etc and came up with nothing. Help!

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #2  
would it have to fold flat? or just fit under the tractor? forks and a pallet with sides nailed on would be pretty fast to load and unload, but Ive never done anything in 30 seconds, heck it takes me longer than that to find my lighter and light a cig.

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #3  
Since you want to do this yourself why not take a standard 3pt platform carrier and modify it to hook onto the bucket? That is what I had in mind when I built mine but I never got around to making the loader bucket attachment bracket. This is a simple inexpensive project that should take you the better part of the day.

My suggestion is that you purchase a set of platform carrier plans from How-To-Plans and modify them to suit your needs. That's what I did.

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #4  
I did exactly as firemanpat said. Works good. With my limited lift capacity, it won't lift much firewood that far out front ... but it wasn't designed for it either. Note, I added a front lip to make loading it with little stuff easier :)

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #5  
I would say $20 or so should get the job done. Less of you have some spare wood laying around. I would basically build a box out of 2x4s and plywood. Make sure that one end is open and has a lip that could slide into the bucket. Then use chain or tie downs that would go from the buck hooks to the bottom front end of the box to keep it from tipping forward. All you would need to do to hook it up would be to drive into it and connect the hooks.

If you want it to fold flat simply hinge the side of the box.

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #6  
53gravely said:
Hi,

... The little bucket is almost useless for bulk stuff....

I want to be able to carry a boatload of leaves, fallen sticks, grass clippings, maybe even cord wood....... Help!

Cord wood sure doesn't belong on that list. If you build a bulk box for your FEL, and load it with cord wood, you're going to hit the bypass on your FEL or stand your tractor on its nose, one or the other.

Sounds to me like a set of pallet forks may be your best option. Then you can scab some plywood sides on a good heavy duty pallet. Set the box in place, switch to your bucket. Load it up. Switch back to the forks and move it where you want it. Maybe fashion a couple of nylon straps along the back so that you can secure the box to the forks so that it will dump.

I have a set of pallet forks for my FEL and I also have a set for the 3pt hitch. I have a few Euro pallets (32" x 48") where I have put light angle iron on the corners up 5 feet high. The top of the corners are all tied together and I have a couple more reinforcing vertical members on the narrow ends of the pallets. I can stack a little more than a face cord (16" x 4' x 8') of firewood in these racks, and move them from the barn to the house without any hand shucking. The FEL will pick it up, but it feels a lot more stable when I use the 3pt forks.

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #7  
Hi-
I attached some photos of a *very* simple and quick stand I made to sit on my FEL. It allows me to carry things without smashing hydraulic hoses. It just sits on the bucket and two legs on the back rest in some pipe. Much quicker for me for many items than attaching forks (don’t have a quick attach). Comes on and off in a heartbeat, and was made with three quarter rebar.

I’m sure you could add a big plywood box easily and make it so your box could be dumped without the whole rig coming off.

Attachments

• Bucket Tote Rear View.jpg
    Bucket Tote Rear View.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 907
  • Bucket Tote in Place.jpg
    Bucket Tote in Place.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 789
  • Bucket Tote at Work.jpg
    Bucket Tote at Work.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 796
   / Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #8  
Finally found a pic of mine

Attachments

• DSCN1729.jpg
    DSCN1729.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 896
   / Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #9  
Homebrew, that is exactly what I pictured in my mind as I was typing.

/ Plywood cary-all for the FEL??? #10  
53gravely said:
Hi,

Need ideas for a large plywood "carry-all" that ties into my existing FEL bucket on my 7610. The little bucket is almost useless for bulk stuff....

I want to be able to carry a boatload of leaves, fallen sticks, grass clippings, maybe even cord wood....about the capacity of the large plywood-sided garden cart that I used to pull behind the little lawn tractor.

Ideally, It should fold flat for storage so it takes up less room in the already crowded barn and should tie to the bucket hooks in under 30 seconds.

I searched "bulk bucket", etc and came up with nothing. Help!

Hey Duncan,
Homebrew has a nice setup. You might try fabricating a carry all off the 3pt hitch also.

How was the game dinner in Pawlet ? Sure would have liked to be there ;)