Polaris big boss 6x6 picked up

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
As stated in the title, we are very excited to have picked up a 2014 Polaris big boss 800 6x6. Just has a few hundred miles on it and we'll use it to do work in the field, and on snow. Of course the wheels and tires need to be put back on for summer use. Anyone here have one of these beasts?

Attachments

• boss.jpg
    boss.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,982
  • bosshitch.jpg
    bosshitch.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 297
  • bosspods.jpg
    bosspods.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 286
  • boss1.jpg
    boss1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 729

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
I see them for save very rarly. They do look fun and faster than a argo/maxx. How much did you pay?

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
It only has 150 miles but he was asking the exorbitant price of 11K for the whole works. Book is around 6K so we offered him that, plus 2500 for the pods. We've been looking for a used 6x6 like this with the 800 engine as this has, or the Outlander with the 1000 engine. We found out they are far and few to be found. We are picking it up this weekend and I'll post more photos later. He never had its wheels/tires mounted on it.

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
Thats a prety **** good price. We paid almost 6k for a beat 08 rzr800 3,300mi. Im not really a fan of polaris stuff after owning this rzr. Many flaws in the design.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We've had our own grief with P made products, but that was some years ago and seems they have improved there quality since. We are working types, not into sport riding at all. This machine will be hauling tools and people into the field and "might" do some trail grooming, of course in the winter. If I'm lucking anyway... Hence the pods. What do you do with your machines??? I'm kind of surprised that no one seems to use 6x6's here..

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
I dont own a 6x6 only a rzr 800. We mostly ride for fun. But it does help me hunt areas i couldnt on foot. To me a rzr is a terrible work vehicle. Small plastic bed with next to no capacity. I have had about 300lbs of rocks in the back of mine (stream crossing repair) it rode like crap. We really got to to beable to move our two dogs and a canoe at the same time at our hunting cabin. It does its job well.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
To feed the Young buyer's hunger Polaris keeps adding HP without beefing up the powertrain. Used in moderation I think they are a very good product.

Thanks for the pics. Give us updates as you use it. Especially snow use. Very cool (pun intended)!!!!! :D

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
He got home late today after traveling to the Sault Ste Marie MI over the weekend. We just call it the Sault up here. It was one heck of the long drive. I'll post more and better photos later. It was 30 some hours on this machine.

Attachments

• P1060244.jpg
    P1060244.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 187
  • bosscamp.jpg
    bosscamp.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 496
  • bosspodrear.jpg
    bosspodrear.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 328

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
Does it have power assist steering? Neighbor has a Polaris 6x6 side-by-side and it steers hard and wears the front tires out quick. (He always liked my RTV900)

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
No. This was one was built before P was adding that feature but you can get a power assist unit for about $700.

Does it have power assist steering? Neighbor has a Polaris 6x6 side-by-side and it steers hard and wears the front tires out quick. (He always liked my RTV900)

nyone

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 851
So you dont just use it for work...lol. they are fun machines even if theres a goal in mind.

I have a large single man ladder stand im going to strap into my rzr roll cage and get way back in the woods at our camp. Its about 3/4 a mile down old skidder trails.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Folks, No idea what to do with tire pressure for this beast. Wheels and tires are going on it today which have been off it for years, since it was assembled. I'm thinking, 6-7 in the fronts and something less in the rear four tires. Maybe 5 psi?? Thanks.

Hummmm subsequently going a internet search, I see people recommend more in the rears..

Last edited:

ZTMAN

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380
Depends on the surface on which you are riding. I always found that 8-9 all around is the sweet spot

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Yesterday I got the wheels installed and put 7psi in all tires. We'll see how that works.... With wheels on, I then hauled the pods to another garage for storage and with the two rear, larger pods in the box, it would hardly steer! I'd guess they weight around 125lbs each. Sorry that we got no photos of that process.

Let me add that these Soucy pods are much, much nicer that anything made at Camso.

Attachments

• bossfrontpod2.jpg
    bossfrontpod2.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 187
  • bossdriveframe.jpg
    bossdriveframe.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 168
  • bosswithtireside.jpg
    bosswithtireside.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 432
  • bosswithtires.jpg
    bosswithtires.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 259
  • bosshitch2.jpg
    bosshitch2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Re: Polaris big boss 6x6,, got pods added today

We've warmed up here and our snow has really gone down. Pods went on the 6x6 beast today and test spin completed around the yard was had...😊 I continue to appreciate Soucy pod system. These would go on/off with two 14mm wrenches and a socket for the lug nuts.

Attachments

• P1020336.jpg
    P1020336.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 362
  • P1020332.jpg
    P1020332.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 929
  • P10203388.jpg
    P10203388.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1,943

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D, Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853, Talon and Mule Pro
Love the tracks! Should be awesome in the snow.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
more snow showed up here so the B B machine was out again.

Attachments

• bossinsnow1.jpg
    bossinsnow1.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 136
  • bossinsnow2.jpg
    bossinsnow2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 274
  • bossinsnow3.jpg
    bossinsnow3.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 110

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
As stated in the title, we are very excited to have picked up a 2014 Polaris big boss 800 6x6. Just has a few hundred miles on it and we'll use it to do work in the field, and on snow. Of course the wheels and tires need to be put back on for summer use. Anyone here have one of these beasts?

I had one of those! So cool. Mine was from the 1990’s, and had a 2-stroke, 250 cc engine. Only the back 4 wheels were powered. Had all the power I needed. Gave it to a cottage neighbour, and he still uses it.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Tanks Check! Ironically, Polaris reduced the CC in the subsequent models. Seems they couldn't get the emissions low enough in this engine but people did seem to like it. Pushing pods through snow does take some serious HP.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We're been receiving snow here guys, kind of serious for a few weeks now. This dumb machine does have good flotation! Thought you might like to see some photos of machines in it. The 1st one is of course our machine and it our yard

Attachments

• P1020644.jpg
    P1020644.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 255
  • blackmntoutlande1.jpg
    blackmntoutlande1.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 130
  • outlanderrear.jpg
    outlanderrear.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Its a bit stiff and more importunately, steers like a large boat. You need to spin the steering wheel (of course its handle bars) but she'll keeps going straight for some time, like its a rudder. Those large rear pods are pretty hard to slide sideways in snow to allow a turn. When I put them on, I should had set to a minim, the front suspension springs on the rear axles. Then the maxed out the rear most suspension springs. This would have helped the rear pods slide sideways a bit.. Seems I'll also need to add a fuel can carrier to the machines front so a weights (and extra fuel brought) can be added and help the front to grab more for better steerage. Oh well.

Very nice! Are you finding the steering effort with the pod's on bearable?

Last edited:

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
When we put this machine to work in snow, we might need to get a power assist kit for it which costs $750 but we'll run it without and see how it goes. As you might guess, if one is moving forward faster, the steering requires less effort.

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
That rig has to just about the lightest psi of any bolt on track "snow toy" with all that track under it. I would imagine that just about any depth of powder, at least that I've ever seen would be no problem.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Its PSI is indeed low. Today I'll try measure whats it footprint is and report back what its ground pressure is per square inch (PSI) but its darn cool here!! With or without a low PSI, any machine that struggles to steer can be a problem. If you can't go in the direction you'd like, you'll get stuck and I do need to work on this machines steerage.

That rig has to just about the lightest psi of any bolt on track "snow toy" with all that track under it. I would imagine that just about any depth of powder, at least that I've ever seen would be no problem.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We put the boss for a few minutes of work yesterday to haul the snowblower down to our church to move snow for winter carnival. I kid you not, I can't fit it in our truck and doing this is soooo much easier to move it. But with the extra weight on its butt, it didn't steer that well! Here is the event. Winter Carnival 219 | Michigan Technological University

We build a "all-nighter" statue for winter carnival and need to move snow in the yard so as to construct it. In the last photo is the statue we built finishing at about 2am this morning. We're at about 165" of snow for the year.

More photos can be had at the dogs blog... The Trail Mutt Reports

Attachments

• P1020926.jpg
    P1020926.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 67
  • bossindeepsnow2.jpg
    bossindeepsnow2.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 64
  • P1020928.jpg
    P1020928.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 75
  • P1020931.jpg
    P1020931.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 70
  • P1020987.jpg
    P1020987.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
My experience is the rolling pressure is much higher of a tracked machine than the static pressure would be.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
yes,,,,,, and what new info are you giving us here??? Tracked vehicles have never need MPG record setters...

I meant the ground pressure is higher.

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
My experience is the rolling pressure is much higher of a tracked machine than the static pressure would be.

Wouldn't that also apply to the rolling pressure of tires compared to static pressure?

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Wouldn't that also apply to the rolling pressure of tires compared to static pressure?

Yes it does. Large balloon tires with low PSI, do have a higher rolling resistance than harder ones with greater PSI in them would.. And the same goes for rubber tracks, the larger they are, the more soft the material is you want to go over. All this increases the rolling resistance. Rubber tracks on snow, is my forte....

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
We hit about 250" of snow here so below are a few 6x6 photos.

Attachments

• P10304544.jpg
    P10304544.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1030456.jpg
    P1030456.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P1030462.jpg
    P1030462.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 61
  • P1030464.jpg
    P1030464.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 56

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
That thing looks awesome. Love to ride something like that one day, but doubt I'll ever be anywhere that has that much snow.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Life is to short not get out and do the things you wanted to.....:D....... Having fun in the snow, was one of the reasons we moved here.

That thing looks awesome. Love to ride something like that one day, but doubt I'll ever be anywhere that has that much snow.

Rustyiron

Tractor
M 9540 Kubota
20 feet of snow :eek: is that normal for your area?
That looks like the perfect machine for your area, is that the snowbank at the road in the first 2 pics?

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Tractor
Those photos are of me driving into an supposedly plowed ally. It really is plowed, just a bit remained there when this photo happened to be taken. There is extra snow there from blowing. The paper says we are at 245" with 65 on the ground which has to be a bit ahead of average but i can't find the normal total by March 1st right now. Nonetheless, we've had a good snow year and good skiing. :thumbsup: More can be seen on the dogs blog The Trail Mutt Reports

20 feet of snow :eek: is that normal for your area?
That looks like the perfect machine for your area, is that the snowbank at the road in the first 2 pics?