Pole barn or shop door types

/ Pole barn or shop door types #1  

rangerfredbob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L260
I'm going to build a shop this year, the plan I like is 36'x48' with 14' rafters but that could change once I get closer, you know how it goes...

Anyway, no real snow load to consider, long way will go east/west with a prominent wind coming from the west in the summer evenings (probably 10ish mph consistently). it will be 4 bays wide with the two big doors in the center bays on the north side. There will be a cross wind on the bay doors in the summer in other words.

For doors I'm kinda liking the idea of sliding doors to keep the rafters and ceiling clear, plus the cost aspect. That said, a roll up door (the type that goes into a spool) would leave rafter room clear for lighting as well which is my main reasoning for not going with a standard garage type door...

I'm planning on doing some in floor heating as well as a wood stove, the roof and walls will be insulated, walls will be sheeted but I'm concerned about the cross wind causing a draft. I have a coworker with a shop using a single door the size I would have two that is a slider and his is sealed up well but he does not have a wind problem at his location.

I figured with the amount of shops on this forum it might be a good place to ask :), so any thoughts on door choices would be appreciated, thanks

/ Pole barn or shop door types #2  
Spend the money on a roll up door if the climate is mild. Otherwise adjust the height and do an insulated sectional. You will appreciate it in the long run- sliding doors and a conditioned space is not a good solution.

/ Pole barn or shop door types #3  
Good choice of high trusses. Morton Buildings advised me to do the same on my 36x53' polebarn so the cement truck can drive inside, thereby not needing to water down the pour or bring in a pump to reach the back of the building. They said the extra truss height is inexpensive from an extra material standpoint.

That extra door height has been nice accomodating a backhoe too.

I went with a double sliding door to look more like a barn and to get a wider entrance. Later bonus was that I could modify a standard garage opener, in combination with a few machined components, cables, and roller chain, so that the doors opened like stage curtains with the opener remote control. That project was posted here by me a long time ago. A video would be better though.

/ Pole barn or shop door types #4  
   / Pole barn or shop door types #5  
I now have a shop just a little larger than the one you're building. I opt'd for the roll up doors - two 12'x12' and one 10x12'. Yes, they were a little more costly than other types of doors. But boy! am I happy I went that way. You will never regret spending a few extra dollars on roll-up doors.

/ Pole barn or shop door types
by roll up are you talking normal garage type doors or the ones that literally roll up? One of the door'd bays is getting a 8-10000 pound two post lift, and I'm thinking of doing like you did and one big door and the other shorter mainly for insulation reasons.

While I'm asking questions, I'm going to have a hoist of some type most likely just a manual chain hoist but should I go A frame on casters, rotating JIB, or some I frame concoction in the rafters with 3 trolleys so it can go in and out and side to side? I'm leaning towards A frame but am open...

/ Pole barn or shop door types #7  
Here I was hanging a 12' X 12' door with my tractor forks and another pic with them in the background.
2- 12' x 12' and a 10' X 12' cost me under $3000. 3 years ago.

Attachments

• DSCN0770.JPG
    DSCN0770.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN1251.JPG
    DSCN1251.JPG
    748.8 KB · Views: 88
   / Pole barn or shop door types #8  
I'm on my second shop and I went with roll up doors both time without any regrets. I've repaired sliding doors for clients and don't care for them. Wind is probably the worse reason, but it's also just about impossible to seal a sliding door from critters that want to get into your shop. Rats take over fairly quickly if you are not constantly fighting them.

My current shop has a ten foot wide door and I think that's a big on the small side. I can get anything in and out of there, but backing a trailer into there to keep a pallet of concrete dry when a storm is heading my way isn't as easy as it was with my previous shop and 12 foot wide door. My next workshop will have at least a 12 foot wide door, and if I can justify the cost, I'll go 14 feet wide.

Having seen a shop with one roll up door that had an electric opener on one door, and not the other, I will also plan on having an electric opener on my next shop. That guy never uses his manual roll up door, it's just too nice and easy to push a button when you want it opened or closed.

/ Pole barn or shop door types #9  
I'm on my second shop and I went with roll up doors both time without any regrets. I've repaired sliding doors for clients and don't care for them. Wind is probably the worse reason, but it's also just about impossible to seal a sliding door from critters that want to get into your shop. Rats take over fairly quickly if you are not constantly fighting them.

My current shop has a ten foot wide door and I think that's a big on the small side. I can get anything in and out of there, but backing a trailer into there to keep a pallet of concrete dry when a storm is heading my way isn't as easy as it was with my previous shop and 12 foot wide door. My next workshop will have at least a 12 foot wide door, and if I can justify the cost, I'll go 14 feet wide.

Having seen a shop with one roll up door that had an electric opener on one door, and not the other, I will also plan on having an electric opener on my next shop. That guy never uses his manual roll up door, it's just too nice and easy to push a button when you want it opened or closed.

The loading dock at work has all roll up doors... they are solid as can be and rugged... you would need a cutting torch or abrasive saw like the fire department to cut through

The hay squeeze barn on the farm has 3 roll up doors and they are miserable... whenever it gets windy it blows the doors out and they were professionally installed... So thin I could cut them with tin snips

/ Pole barn or shop door types #10  
Any chance that the thin roll up doors are designed for storage units? I priced them and they where half the cost of what Muellers wanted, but a lot thinner and when reading reviews, I realized that you get what you pay for in roll up doors.