porcupines, strange what they'll eat

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
This is looking up at the roof of a kiosk in the National Forest near us. The plywood has been 80% eaten out by porcupines and we found most of structures made with plywood here eaten by them. Whatever year these structures were installed, I'll guess the glue the plywood manufacturers used was appreciated by these rodents. Funny what they'll eat!
P1100551.jpg

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat #2  
Hmmmm..... must have been very tasty glue. Around here it's just the normal stuff. The tops of smaller pine trees. Loooong ago - it was the wooden handles on my wheel barrow. Just enough so that I had to rough sand them to make them smooth again. Last encounter was fatal to my new dog. He was a great Chocolate Lab. Just didn't learn to avoid the porcupine. Thank goodness, my current dog - Brownie - stays very close when we are out on the property. Brownie is not bold, which serves him well around here.

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat
Here is a different kiosk but its plywood shows the same porky consumption. If anyone has knowledge of this plywood tasty glue problem, please post.
P1100508.jpg

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat #4  
Horses love it too. She ate her stall down.

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat #6  
Did someone say “plywood”?

Attachments

• F5F373E0-90CA-478A-A6A0-5B03994E93EE.jpeg
    F5F373E0-90CA-478A-A6A0-5B03994E93EE.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 73
   / porcupines, strange what they'll eat #7  
This is looking up at the roof of a kiosk in the National Forest near us. The plywood has been 80% eaten out by porcupines and we found most of structures made with plywood here eaten by them. Whatever year these structures were installed, I'll guess the glue the plywood manufacturers used was appreciated by these rodents. Funny what they'll eat!View attachment 696114
How do you know that porcupines did that damage?Do you have cameras set up?Just curious??

/ porcupines, strange what they'll eat #10  
I've seen it before. Years ago I went camping in a state park with the church youth group and the sides of the lean-to we stayed in was badly chewed for the bottom 2 feet or so; at the height where guys had been relieving themselves against the plywood for years.
The guys slept in the leanto, I think the girls had a camp to stay in. That night we were awoken to the sound of them chewing on the wall. When I awoke the next morning I found quills stuck in the shell of my sleeping bag, where a porky had walked between the sleepers in the night.