Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features?

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #1  

BackRoad

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000, MF 35
Looking to add a 3PH - PTO driven - Post Hole Auger to use with my 60hp MX6000.

Not all implements are built with the same quality or features, and I have no problem buying new or used, but preference is to only buy once.

So...in addition to the normal and expected basic functionality of a PHA...

Are there any "nice to have" features that improve usability or functionality when evaluating a potential PHA for purchase?

Last edited:
   / Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #2  
Don't think that there is much difference in 3pt PHD, they are pretty much the same in how they function. The next step up is a hydraulic PHD that can be mounted on the loader, either a skid steer quick attach or bolt on the side of the loader bucket. The advantages are numerous; down pressure on the auger, the ability to reverse the auger should it catch a root or rock and screw itself into the ground.
Hydraulic augers do require fairly high flow, I think your tractor probably has adequate flow.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #3  
I have a Danuser and was told "Cadillac" of augers, the cheap ones you can get don't last I'm told.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #4  
My cheep speeco post hole digger is 28 years old. Replaced worn out augars over the years. Nothing to break on them really. I added a hydraulic down pressure kit to mine years ago.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #5  
Heavy and heavy duty are GREAT to have in a PH digger. They make hydraulic and and manual down pressure assist but i found with a heavy unit, that is unnecessary.

one that comes with a stand is nice.

double flute augers are better.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #6  
Having a handle bar so that you can control the angle of the auger while you plunge it into the ground. I got mine from TSC and it has this and it works well. I was told from a co-worker that has one that does not have the handle bar that it is a PITA not being able to control the angle of the dangle.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #7  
Easy to spend someone else's money, but the hydraulic ssqa post hole diggers are awesome. I replaced my 3 point phd with a Land Pride SA20 and low flow motor (6-15 gpm required).

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #8  
Safety and safety as with most implements should be the best feature . I'm with the front mount hydro guys on this one . Even though way more pricey and some tractor owner operators useing smaller tractors and flow . If you decide on the 3point phd make sure gearbox properly filled b4 use . Many of them are sold or shipped "dry " .

EA has some good 3 point vid's . Also if you do a search on TBN 3 point safety / accidents etc much info here .

Might be the way I'am built but me I can't stand useing a rear mounted 3 point phd and I have owned many . I find the way you turn some , bend your neck etc to operate a real pain in the rear .

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features? #9  
I've had a few pto phd's. My current one is a practically new Land Pride PD15 that I picked up super cheap on Craigslist. Compared to the last no-name, beat up one I had for my last tractor (also from Craigslist) this one looks great. Operationally? Meh, they both do the same thing.

I had about $250 in the beat up one that I got back when I sold it and now about $600 in the Land Pride. I've drilled several 100 holes with them and its one of those implements that are great when u need it. This one is about to go to my son in MD. I don't foresee any use for me in the near future.

/ Post Hole Auger "Nice to Have" Features?
Thanks for the comments...looking closely at the SSQA augers.

Not hung up on brand, although saw locally a JCT 935 for $1800. Think I can get between 8 and 10 GPM flow. Logically it makes sense to have forward and reverse, with down pressure if needed.

Considering...

So hydraulic pressure add on was mentioned, plus some sort of steering/alignment for the auger was mentioned as helpful.

A double flute auger head was mentioned...

Last edited: