Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy)

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #141  
What happened to the recipe you promised to post?
Damn sree251, I have to get the wife to do this . . . I have no clue where they are hiding . . . and sometimes it is better to only ask the wife one time. ;).

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #142  
Please promise me you will set aside just a tad, maybe a cup full and use the Wishbone, just for comparison's sake. We often take it to parties, etc. and you NEVER have any left over.
I promise.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #143  
Here's another country recipe that results in one of the juiciest and tastiest tasty pork loin you'll ever eat.

BRINED BACON WRAPPED BBQ PORK LOIN

One pork loin, sliced bacon and dry BBQ rubb (preferablyDG's #2 rib rubb)

Brine:

4 cups water

1/4 cup Kosher salt

1/4 cup light brown sugar

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tsp Thyme

2 tbsp peppercorns

2 tbsp rib rubb

1 tbsp Sesame oil

2 tbsp lime or lemon juice

Mix brine and place into a 1 gallon freezer bag along with the tenderloin. Allow to marinate in frige, at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Remove tenderloin, rinse and dry with a paper towel. Place on cookie sheet, spray with olive oil and add a generous coating of dry rubb. Wrap with bacon, secure with toothpicks and sprinkle rubb on bacon. Preferably, allow to sit in frige for about 4 hours; remove and allow to come to room temp.

Place on smoker at 250 degrees until internal temp reaches 160 degrees; about 2 and /2 hours. Some say 140 degrees is done, but not for me. Use your own discretion...my bacon wasn't even done when it reached 140.

P.S. I use a combination of Mesquite, Blackjack Oak and Pecan wood for smoking.

Last edited:
   / Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #144  
Here's another country recipe that results in one of the juiciest and tastiest tasty pork loin you'll ever eat.

BRINED BACON WRAPPED BBQ PORK LOIN
Copied this for my file. This looks like a winner. What should I eat it with? Carmelized apple wedges and roasted potatos? Seems like a dry French sauvignon blanc will go well with it.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #145  
Copied this for my file. This looks like a winner. What should I eat it with? Carmelized apple wedges and roasted potatos? Seems like a dry French sauvignon blanc will go well with it.
I would be happy with fried okra or grilled garlic butter asparagus and a nice pear/cottage salad.

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #146  
   / Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #147  
Here's an excellent recipe that we served at the Elks Lodge for about 75 people. It is very good, and we got rave reviews, so I thought I would post it here (with apologies to the OP)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

BEEF TIPS ON RICE

Ingredients

2 to 2 and 1/2 pounds of Sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes

1/2 teaspoon of dried Thyme

Pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon is plenty)

(The recipe called for salt, but I didn't add any. Just a touch of meat tenderizer, but it certainly didn't need any salt.)

2 cans condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (10 + ounce can)
1/2 cup water

1/2 cup chopped onion (I used more)

2 Tbsp Parsley; dry or fresh...probably a bit more if fresh and chopped.

Dash of Kitchen Bouquet (optional)

1 pound of long grain rice, cooked (we used brown rice)

Combine beef, pepper and thyme; mix well. Place in a greased baking pan. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees; bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; stir, and bake 15 minutes longer. Drain.

Combine the soup, water, onion, parsley and browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet; optional). Pour over beef; mix well. Cover and bake @ 350 degrees for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours, OR UNTIL THE BEEF IS TENDER. Serve over rice.

We served the meal with our bacon wrapped-oven baked-green beans, and a cottage cheese/ pineapple salad, along with French bread.

Enjoy!!!!

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #148  
Umm.... My latest kitchen accomplishment was this... And this time I DID NOT use the smoke alarm as a timer...

Kind of a "Dump" or "Body Slam" meal..

In the big couter top roaster, slow cooker...
2 rough chopped onions
2 packages of boneless, cubed black bear meat..
1/2 package of fresh, thick slice bacon, cut into cubes
4-5 carrots, washed and cut into 3" chunks
4 - 5 Yukon gold potatoes, washed and cut in half to fill the cooker

On top of the meat..
2-3 clove garlic fresh or dry
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup HP brown sauce
2 large table spoons home mixed poultry seasoning
3-4 table spoons brown gravy powder....optional
black pepper
1 pint home canned apple juice
a little water, if you think it needs it

Roast at about 225-250 F until the potatoes are done..
Scoop off the potatoes, carrots in a dish, stir the meat and onion.

Make a big pot of strong tea in the old "Brown Betty" tea pot...

/ Post your favorite winter time stew or soup (Bonus points if it's easy) #149  
On top of the meat..
2-3 clove garlic fresh or dry
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup HP brown sauce
2 large table spoons home mixed poultry seasoning
3-4 table spoons brown gravy powder....optional
black pepper
1 pint home canned apple juice
a little water, if you think it needs it
What is HP brown sauce? and I've never had bear meat so is it closer to pig or cow for a substitution?