Potato Salad Research

/ Potato Salad Research #13  
You worry about bacon but eat bologna?

Ha!

MoKelly
Good answer!!! The "little worms in pork" he refers to is called "Trichinosis". If you cook the meat properly it isn't a problem.

/ Potato Salad Research
Good answer!!! The "little worms in pork" he refers to is called "Trichinosis". If you cook the meat properly it isn't a problem.
That's why it's illegal to feed hogs uncooked garbage. Most pigs aren't raised on garbage any more, so the trichina fly is not found around hog operations.

/ Potato Salad Research #16  
Peel and slice 5 pounds of potatoes and a couple large onions.
Boil the potatoes and onions until soft.
Drain and leave in the pan.
Fry 1 pound of bacon.
Remove the bacon and set aside.
Double the amount of bacon grease with vinegar.
Double that amount with brown sugar.
Add that to the potatoes and onions.
Crumble the bacon up and add that to the mixture.

Serve hot.
Sounds like a German potato salad recipe that a girlfriend of mine made. I haven't had that for many years....she married someone else.

/ Potato Salad Research #17  
I've always boiled my spuds. Next time - the microwave and some vinegar. My potato salad recipes are never the same. What's in the frige and tasty, might end up in the salad.

Ha, ha - 5030 - at my age, most everything gives me gas.

/ Potato Salad Research #18  
My wife bakes potatoes in the micro, then peals and dices for salad. No watery or rubbery potatoes that way.

/ Potato Salad Research #19  
Cider Vinegar is great for Potato Salad.
No eggs for me!

/ Potato Salad Research
Cider Vinegar is great for Potato Salad.
No eggs for me!
It's something I learned from a professional. I had a really great serving of potato salad once, better than I had ever tasted. I asked him how he did that, and he said he used a little cider vinegar on the potatoes after they were cooked. It turns potato salad into a salad. Drain the spuds thoroughly and don't overdo. There's nothing worse than runny potato salad.