Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem

/ Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
I have an older Poulan 12 HP lawn tractor. The drive belt broke and got a new one based on the size of the broken old one. Installed it and the tractor will now move forwards and backwards. Problem is there is no clutch or brake now. The pedal seems to have very little travel before it hits the metal foot rest. I have tried to adjust the A nut as per the instruction manual but not luck. It seem when the nut is tightened too much it is bending the rod from the clutch/brake petal to the A nut and spring area when pushing down on the clutch/brake petal. It is a model XC1122B

Attachments

• Poulan Clutch.pdf
    915.8 KB · Views: 396
   / Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem #2  
sounds like either the new belt is installed incorrectly or the non oem belt is too short. i have found just because a cross reference says that a replacement is a 1/2 by whatever doesn't mean that the oem belt was a half inch wide and little differences in belt taper can cause big problems in how they set in the pulleys. i have a customer with a toro mower that takes a 1/2 by 76 belt in a oregon but a 1/2 by 77 in a napa.

/ Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem
sounds like either the new belt is installed incorrectly or the non oem belt is too short. i have found just because a cross reference says that a replacement is a 1/2 by whatever doesn't mean that the oem belt was a half inch wide and little differences in belt taper can cause big problems in how they set in the pulleys. i have a customer with a toro mower that takes a 1/2 by 76 belt in a oregon but a 1/2 by 77 in a napa.

Got a call from my friend who works at a golf course, he does their repair/maintenance. Thinks the belt may be a tad short. I looked this morning and there is really no play in the idler pulley. I think I will get a belt slightly longer as this does seem to be the problem. I had taken the broken belt into an automotive parts store to get matched up. :(

/ Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem #4  
The O'Reilly auto parts stores carry mower replacement belts. I got belts from them based on the part numbers for my MTD mower. You do have to be careful, however, because at least some of the numbers don't match up. For example, I needed the drive belt for my mower, but the number they had actually matched the deck belt instead. I took my broken belt in and they matched it exactly, but the part numbers were off. They also carry the mower-type blade belts....i.e. the belt that connects the deck to the pto. They are the green material that lasts a lot longer than a regular automotive-type belt.

Chuck

/ Poulan lawn tractor cluch/brake problem
FIXED :cool2:

The belt was to short. Got a new one today 3 inches longer. Tractor is about 15 years old, have all the manuals but of course there is no parts list. The auto parts store tried to match up the broken belt but obviously came up short.
pun intended. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks RANDYT :thumbsup: for your accurate advice.