Power-Trac lube revisited

/ Power-Trac lube revisited #1  

ponytug

Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Well, I have been having a creaking noise coming from somewhere up front, I think. Reading some old posts, others seem to have had the internal pins in the steering cylinders eye go dry. I have been spraying Super-Lube on the eyes, and pins, but I must not be doing something right, or I have a bigger problem lurking somewhere else. And, no, I can't place the creak location. I can hear it through the earmuffs, but not any better without hearing protection. It happens sometimes with a fully load bucket, sometimes empty, sometimes while turning, sometimes going straight but with side to side yaw due to uneven terrain. Any ideas?

I use Super-Lube silicone spray lube with PTFE. What do you use, and how often do you spray it? I have just been spraying lube whenever I grease (8 hours-ish), or every two weeks or so, whichever comes first.

All the best,

Peter

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Power-Trac lube revisited #2  
Don't forget the top pivot. Might have to take the tunnel cover off to get to it. Not sure which machine you have. Greasing and spraying lube are the most important next to clean lubricants and hydraulic oil. Pretty simple machines.

Good luck.

Edit to add. I see your signature line, you have a 1445

/ Power-Trac lube revisited #3  
I 2nd the top center pin link that you have to take the cover off to see/access, it is a 50 hour interval easy to forget.
I do my machines at 8 hrs religiously. I put a piece of blue tape on the machine with the hours of the last lube and stop everything at 8 or a little less to lube.
I would try to isolate the noise when it is in the mood to make it and then lube that area more then you have been. If it is the yaw, you could use a jack with the engine off and try to twist the machine to see if that is it.
I also double lube the joints that have a ball/socket and grease fitting. I figure the grease goes between the pin and ball, so then I lube the ball and socket with Superlube. Cover all the bases, lube is cheap (compared to parts).

/ Power-Trac lube revisited
I do lube the top center pin, both ends. It works much better for me with Lock-N-Lube grease chuck. Beforehand, I was checking after I had pumped in a slug of grease only to find a glob around the zerk, instead of in the joint. I also do it closer to every other greasing. Who was it who extended their zerk on that back to the outside?

@m5040 Thanks for the tips! I will go to the double lube on all the eyes. As you say, lube is cheap compared to parts. I hadn't thought about jacking the tractor, that is a great idea!

All the best,

Peter

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Power-Trac lube revisited
Found it!

One of the lower eyes on my 4N1 bucket has rusted to the cylinder, so when the cylinder extends or retracts, the required rotation has to occur between the sleeve and the bolt, which wasn't getting enough lubrication. @MossRoad was it you that had something similar on a steering cylinder?

I double checked my Super-Lube can; no PTFE. Oops.

All the best,

Peter

/ Power-Trac lube revisited #6  
Found it!

One of the lower eyes on my 4N1 bucket has rusted to the cylinder, so when the cylinder extends or retracts, the required rotation has to occur between the sleeve and the bolt, which wasn't getting enough lubrication. @MossRoad was it you that had something similar on a steering cylinder?

I double checked my Super-Lube can; no PTFE. Oops.

All the best,

Peter
Yes! I was convinced my steering valve was bad. Had a couple drips under the console. I talked to Terry at PT about getting a new one. He looked up the price and told me I didn't want a steering valve! Even he was shocked at the price. :ROFLMAO: He said he'd bet it was the steering cylinder end(s) making the squeak and a loone fitting making the drip, and to just soak the heck out of the ends with the lube. I'd already tried that. He said to do it again. I did. It worked. (y)

Those squeaks can transmit their sound up through the entire machine to the point that you cannot locate the source very easily. I'd guess the only way I could have really narrowed it down would have been to get out the old stethoscope and start placing it on joints while turning the steering wheel.

/ Power-Trac lube revisited #9  
I do lube the top center pin, both ends. It works much better for me with Lock-N-Lube grease chuck. Beforehand, I was checking after I had pumped in a slug of grease only to find a glob around the zerk, instead of in the joint. I also do it closer to every other greasing. Who was it who extended their zerk on that back to the outside?

@m5040 Thanks for the tips! I will go to the double lube on all the eyes. As you say, lube is cheap compared to parts. I hadn't thought about jacking the tractor, that is a great idea!

All the best,

Peter
I was able to notch the two covers where they meet at the joint and use a 45 degree grease fitting. Eliminated removing covers.

/ Power-Trac lube revisited #10  
I was able to notch the two covers where they meet at the joint and use a 45 degree grease fitting. Eliminated removing covers.
I was able to push the flat lower plate back and the angled upper plate up and got about 3/4” of space, enough to put the grease gun in. However, for about the past 15 years, I’ve just left all the covers off the tunnel. Easier to clean and observe. Keep your hands out of there. ;)