Practice Ammo, not handloaded

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I put in an order for some accessories for my new Glock 43, mags and Sticky Holster, plus practice ammo. I was frankly amazed at the difference in pricing for the complete order. Ended up getting it from a company I have never done business with before. Ordered from them because of a 10% off orders over $100 offer. Priced from at least 20 different online sellers. Prices, with shipping, varied from $168 to over $200 for the same items.

I had originally figured on getting the Winchester Forged Ammo for practice but the reviews said it was, "very dirty, and covered with lube which built up and caused jams". So I changed to Fiocchi Ammo which got universally good reviews. The Blazer Brass that I have used before got mixed reviews.

My question is. What practice ammo do you use and why?

RSKY

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #2  
I get whatever is on sale at Bass Pro or the online ammo vendors but stick with traditional brass/lead rounds (jacketed preferably). I just don't want to experiment with the other stuff since it could compromise the reliability of the weapon. I say "could". I'd hate to gum the weapon up with practice ammo and then have a jam when shooting a home defense round in an emergency.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #3  
Lucky you, I can't get mail ordered ammo, my wondorous state has prohibited it.
I do like the Fiocchi Ammo I'm getting down I'll have to go visiting across state lines and procure a bit more.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #4  
My SIL worked for an ammo manufacturer in Clarkston, WA. She could get me ammo in bulk - price per pound. Trying to remember the name. I would get 500 rounds for around $6. It was FMJ and aluminum cased. The 9mm was the FMJ and aluminum cased - the 22 stuff was normal brass cased. Neither were considered "practice".

I bought so much - I still have a lot remaining. Doesn't seem to be any less power and doesn't cause any worse fowling.

Besides - for home defense - it's 12 gauge with 00 buckshot or Winchester 30-30.

OK - it's now called CCI. Back then it was called something different - different ownership.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #6  
My SIL worked for an ammo manufacturer in Clarkston, WA. She could get me ammo in bulk - price per pound. Trying to remember the name. I would get 500 rounds for around $6. It was FMJ and aluminum cased. The 9mm was the FMJ and aluminum cased - the 22 stuff was normal brass cased. Neither were considered "practice".

I bought so much - I still have a lot remaining. Doesn't seem to be any less power and doesn't cause any worse fowling.

Besides - for home defense - it's 12 gauge with 00 buckshot or Winchester 30-30.

OK - it's now called CCI. Back then it was called something different - different ownership.

I prefer #4 Buck, 27 .22 balls seems to be effective. I noticed years ago that my Remington 870 with the cylinder bore short barrel that coyotes at 30 yards could occasional run thru the pattern and keep going, used some large sheets of paper and was disappointed in the pattern of the 00 buck with only 9 pellets per round switched to the #4 buck immense difference on coyotes. Any vermin in the house would not be a problem, also my house load is 3 #4 buck then a slug, 2 more #4 buck and another slug. If that hasn't stopped the problem it's time for the heavy stuff. :laughing:

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #7  
Rural king sells armscore ammo for i beleive 9 dollars a box. It shoots really well. Also wal mart has federal 100 rnd boxes for 18 and change also good stuff for practice.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #8  
I never have nor ever intend to shoot a coyote. That's definitely why I have 00 buck. It's intended to stop a person dead & dead in their tracks.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #9  
I have some Winchester range loads, like 100 per box, for different caliber. Fiocchi and CCI are good ammo, shoots clean. Really the only ammo I've used that I didn't like was aguila it smells funny and is really dirty ammo, but very cheap.

/ Practice Ammo, not handloaded #10  
I've had really good luck with Fiocchi in a variety of calibers, it's a clean shooter. CCI and Blazer brass have been fine also. The Winchester white box and some Remington pistol ammo I've gotten recently shoots fine but has been really dirty.

I pretty much stick with CCI for my .22s as it seems to work across all the pistols and rifles I have. I have a bulk box of Remington .22LR that's OK but dirtier than the CCI, and my Walther .22 hates the stuff (TBH it's pretty finicky!) The Walther likes some 35 year old Federal .22 I still had around - I've only got a half-brick of that left so I shoot it sparingly :)