Premix vs gas station 2 stroke

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #1  

rickdavis81

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 90xt Deere 5105
Anyone use the premix store bought ethanol free 2 stroke fuel? Debating if it’s worth the extra cost for the saws and trimmers.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #2  
I’d say it’s only worth it if you just use it a little bit. I have a post a few lines down titled “Ethanol free gas?”. I found a source of ethanol free gas that is about a 20 minute drive for me one way. It’s also 93 octane, Stihl says 89 for their saws. I have two chainsaws, a Lawnboy 2 stroke, a pole saw, and 2 leaf blowers that all use it. Even with all that I’d guess I’d only burn maybe 4 to 6 gallons of 2 stroke fuel a year. Depending on the quantity you buy on Amazon and what brand, the premix is about $25 to $50 a gallon.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #3  
The only time I've had fuel "go bad" was when a machine wasn't run for three years. These days I try to remember to use stabil if I don't think I'll run an engine for a while, but usually I forget.

The thing I always do though is turn off the gas and let the residual fuel burn till the engine dies - rototiller, pressure washer. Chain saws get run reasonably often (and have no fuel shutoff, like the trimmer).

I don't think the $20+/gallon gas in a can use worth it at all; it's preying on modern folks' fear of not having *the very best*

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke
I didn’t think it was worth it just wanted some reassurance that it wasn’t magically a lot better for the equipment. I can probably go thru 10 gal a year. Which isn’t a lot. But it’s a lot of money for the premixed. Thanks

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #5  
I didn’t think it was worth it just wanted some reassurance that it wasn’t magically a lot better for the equipment. I can probably go thru 10 gal a year. Which isn’t a lot. But it’s a lot of money for the premixed. Thanks
At 10 gallons per year, you are rotating it out pretty well. Pump gas mixed to the proper ratio will work just fine and it won't sit around long enough to have any issues the way you go through it.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #6  
Personally if I've got problems with fuel it's more of the "it's loud, stinky, and messy" and the solution there isn't more expensive fuel but to get battery-powered if possible.

We've already gone to a battery powered blower (super good move). I'd like to switch out my small chain saw (14") but I'm not sure if either of the battery lines we're using or likely to use in the future make the right saw (blower is 80v green works - possible, shop tools are 18v ryobi - nope).

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #7  
Using ethanol free gas is definitely worth it. “Premix” is definitely the expensive version of this, but still probably worth it if it saves one service visit and you only burn a little bit.
Especially use it if it’s the last tank fill of the season.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #8  
I guess it depends on what you're planning to do. For a suburbanite/homeowner who's going to maybe run a weed wacker a couple times a month, the pre-mix is a lot more convenient, and one can will probably last the whole season. If you plan to use a lot, yeah, mix your own.
I keep a can of the pre-mix around for those times when I run out of my own mix and don't feel like running to the gas station just to finish a project. Also, some engines seem to run better on the pre-mix...I've got a cheapie Walmart weed wacker like that.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #9  
I don't think the $20+/gallon gas in a can use worth it at all; it's preying on modern folks' fear of not having *the very best*
That hasn't been MY experience!

I keep some around for small engines that don't get used much and it keeps me from having the carb problems I "use to have".

My Husky/Stihl dealer says he's averaging 5 carb cleanings/rebuilds a week right now, from E-10 gas.

For those that leave their small engines sit a lot, canned gas saves them money and frustration.

SR

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #10  
When I was running only a weed-eater only, one gallon of home brew premix gas would last me a year -- no issues. (And that is using e10 gas) I have gotten into the routine of adding 1 oz of seafoam to the mix and I know for sure there will be no issues with fuel mix getting old. Running the chainsaw as much as I have for the past 6 months, I've been through a two gallons so far.