Premix vs gas station 2 stroke

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #71  
Gas was going stale and forming gum before they started adding ethanol (or MTBE for that matter). Back in the day I cleaned out a lot of gummed up carbs from motorcycles that had been sitting with gas in them.

Corrosion isn't much of a problem with modern fuel systems (since the '90s) and rubber fuel system components since then are ethanol resistant too.

The one situation ethanol can cause problems is with phase separation. That's where you get water in the tank, it combines with the ethanol and then the ethanol/water separates from the gas. That stuff won't burn. But you need enough water in the gas to make a significant layer and the separation mostly happens at lower temps.

E10 really needs to be stored in sealed containers. That keeps water out and keeps the volatile ethanol from evaporating and lowering the octane rating.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #74  
I had carb/gas line problems EVERY single year, until I quit buying fuel with ethanol in it!

The "science" is, I QUIT using E10 in my small gas engines and the problems quit too!

That's good enough science for me!!

SR

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #75  
On a side note, it's pretty hard to light gasoline with a cigarette. Harder than most folks think. But it is possible, and if you do, WOOOOF!!!

I believe MythBusters did a study - based on old movie scenes of someone tossing a cigarette into a spilt pool of gas.

Caveat - don’t try at home!

MoKelly

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #76  
Two chainsaws, a weedwacker, a stick edger, and a leaf blower. I put both chainsaws away with ethanol fuel in them for probably 5 years. Both of them got fully rebuilt and now get engineered fuel because they do not get regular use. The weedwacker, edger, and leaf blower don't ever sit long enough for ethanol fuel to be a problem. The stick edger and leaf blower are tools I inherited from my father, who is a cheapskate. The leaf blower says no ethanol and of course my dad used ethanol fuel in it, the fuel line in the tank was melted, the gasket around the fuel cap evaporated, the primer bulb was destroyed...I replaced all of those bits with ethanol rated parts and it runs amazingly well.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #77  
My 2 cents:
For my 2 strokes, 2 Sthil saws (one over 20yrs old), Stihl backpack blower (20+ yrs), Stihl weedwacker, I use high test in 2 gallon cans and mix in the 2 stroke oil at the pump. I've had it work fine for over 6 months but if it's old I put it in the jeep.

For my gennie I put in minimal gas with long term dose of Stabil. My summer car goes in the garage (with whatever amount high test is in the tank) at first snow and stays there until snow's gone. I've had it 20 years and it starts fine (first 2021 drive was two days ago).

The Quad and ZTM go thru enough to never have gas older than a month. I also have a 20+ year old Toro self propelled that never had Stabil but was usually run dry at the end of the season. The Honda 5hp on the log splitter has also been with me since the mid-late 90s and runs fine with the same treatment.

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #78  
Ha. All the modern folks I know hire out all that “messy” stuff. Yard work. Tree trimming/removal. Leaves.

Most modern folks don’t even own work clothes.

MoKelly
is there something other than workcloths?

/ Premix vs gas station 2 stroke #80  
Anyone use the premix store bought ethanol free 2 stroke fuel? Debating if it’s worth the extra cost for the saws and trimmers.
Where I live we can get 90REC fuel at some gas stations. I use the 90REC to mix fuel for all my 2 cycle engines. For 4 cycle engines I use standard 87 ethanol blend. For seasonal 4 cycle equipment (ie. lawn mower) I will run 93REC and Stabil before I put the equipment in storage until next season. I think Stabil or anything like it helps to lube the valve guides so they won't get stuck while sitting for a long time. I also sometimes just drain all the gas out of the tank and carburetor. If the 87 ethanol blend stays in a carb long enough it leaves a brown crust and can stop up small passages.