Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers??

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
My step-dad gave me a Karcher gas power pressure washer. Before he gave it to me, it was acting goofy. When you would pull the trigger it would squirt water but not cause the engine to kick up and for the pump to kick. If you would keep pulling the trigger, sometimes it would catch and cause the RPM's to raise and the pump to build pressure.......but that was a crap shoot. Well, he bought a new gun, which his hose didn't fit so he had to wind up buying a new hose, tip, wand and gun..........still no go. So, he bought a new one and gave me this one.

I read around on the net and found that the pumps get clogged inlet filters and something about a spring getting dirty. Well, I thought I found the problem because the water inlet filter was about 80% blocked.....I took it all apart and cleaned it......didn't help.

Any ideas? I know these get calcium buildup in them...... I'd take a pic of the pump and post it here but I think my digital camera took a dump......

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers??
If I get a wild hair and decide to buy a new one (or put it on my Christmas list:D ) what should I look for? I know most of these are pretty crappy.....or so I hear.....

I spray off the tractor, ATV, concrete and siding....

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #3  
cat pumps are one of the best pumps.
Disassemble the pump unit and check the valves, etc.

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers??
"cat pump" ???? what's that?

dqdave1 said:
cat pumps are one of the best pumps.
Disassemble the pump unit and check the valves, etc.

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #5  
Flatheadyoungin said:
"cat pump" ???? what's that?

It could be an input water pressure problem.

Is the input hose running on mains pressure or is it from a pump? If the input pressure (water supply) is too low then the pressure washer will not activate. Its a safety measure so that the pressure pump won't run dry. (i.e. it prevents it from spraying out water faster than it can take it in). Can you test it using an input hose from another source that has a higher pressure? Or do you have some input/output pressure adjustments you can play with.

And make sure your input hose tap is fully open.

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #7  
I have a Karcher (small home unit) that sorta has an opposite problem.. I cant get the high pressure water to cut off. The switch will not turn anything off, and it doesnt matter if you pull the trigger or not, the pump runs full blast..

any suggestions
Brian

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #8  
Expanding on a suggestion by alchemysa - have you checked that your system can deliver the volume of water that your pump needs. If it's a 2.8gpm or whatever, it should be a simple matter to run the hose into the bucket for a minute and check.
My manual recommends using a 3/4 inch hose no longer than fifty feet. It also recommends running tap water through the hose for a minute to get the junk out of it before you hook the hose up to the pump. Then it says to run the water through the hose an nozzle (pump off) for a half minute to remove any air pockets. Have you checked the house water filter?
Does your wife run the shower or dishwasher while you're trying to spray?

There's many more suggestions, nearly three thousand of them, in the usenet group alt.home.repair
Google it at groups.google.com/

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #9  
Very interesting post because I had this EXACT problem with my Karcher. Checked the intake filter. It was a little dirty so I cleaned it. No change. Took the whole wand apart to see if it was plugged. Nope. On the Karcher site they recommend running it with the detergent "sucker" hanging in vinegar in case there is buildup. No change. Looked at a new pump for it!!! :eek: Very costly.

Just bought a new BE from HD. That's life. I'm going to keep an eye out for a rebuilt or cheap pump (princess auto or something) and swap it out if possible. Until then....anyone want to buy a 6hp motor :rolleyes:

/ Pressure Washer Problems- any pointers?? #10  
I had this problem too and all it was was I was using a 5/8 inch garden hose to hook it up and it needed a 3/4 diameter one. It ran perfect after that. I have big faucets here also and 1 inch pipe for them. They aren't the typical water faucets most people have on your house.

I'd bet you just aren't getting enough volume through it.