Pricing a used 1-ton pickup

/ Pricing a used 1-ton pickup #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I've been looking for 1999-03 1-ton pickups for the past several months and hope to make a purchase soon.

As I understand it, Kelley Blue Book reflects dealer asking price. Edmunds reflects retail selling price that the buyer pays. And eBay somewhat reflects dealer wholesale price for a used vehicle bought at auction or from another dealer.

The asking prices I've seen in dealer ads or on the windshield of trucks on the lots seem to me to be significantly higher than what you find at the KBB website (15-20%). I assume this is the price dealers are hoping to get from buyers who haven't done their homework on the KBB and Edmunds websites.

Question: how do you guys figure out what one of these trucks is worth?

/ Pricing a used 1-ton pickup #2  
KBB gives you Trade-in (The amount consumers can expect to receive from a dealer for a trade-in vehicle), Suggested Retail (The value that is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car. A starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer), and Private Party (The amount a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party).

It's all I've ever needed...

/ Pricing a used 1-ton pickup #4  
Last used car I bought had $24,999 on the window. I went in and asked to drive it. I had done my research and wanted to pay no more than $20,500. I printed off about 10 from the net and said I was looking at all today and buying one of them before sunset. It was all BS, I was going to buy that one. I offered $20,250 and they laughed so I walked. Did not get to my truck and they were dragging me back in on a $20,300 deal with 3 free oil changes, 1 tire rotation, and a new set of all weather floor mats. The truck was worth $25,000 so I was happy.

Moral is go in knowing your price and stick to it.

Chris