Problem with my Kawasaki 691V engine

/ Problem with my Kawasaki 691V engine #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
The last time I mowed with my Ferris with the Kawasaki 691V engine, it started surging like it was running out of gas. I found that the fuel filter was plugged. I took it off, blew it out and finished mowing. The next day I bought a new filter and installed it. It seemed to run ok then so I put it in the storage shed. A few days after I went to start it to mow my neighbors yard and it was hard to start, ran only a few seconds before shutting down, but in the process it was blowing lots of smoke and spitting out an oily mix of gas and oil.
Finally I checked the oil level and it was almost to the top of the stick. That is when I saw that about 1/4 tank of fuel was missing. The entire crankcase had filled up with gasoline.
I managed to pull it out of the shop with my RTV and drained out the crankcase, removed the oil filter, poured a couple quarts of oil in to flush it changed the filter and refilled it with oil.
I cranked it up and it smoked like crazy, but I managed to get it into the shop. I unhooked the fuel line above the fuel filter so it would not siphon any gas and noted the level of fuel in the filter. The next day I noted that no fuel was in the filter. I then removed some plating on the rear bumper so I could access the carb. I managed to get my thinnest 1/2" wrench in between the fuel cutoff solenoid and the carb bowl to remove it. The bowl was completely full of gasoline. I checked the solenoid and it was working so I assumed that some trash had gotten under the needle valve and held it open.
I reassembled it, noting the fuel level in the tank and in the filter. a couple of days have gone by and it seems to be holding the fuel valve closed.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had that problem with the Kawasaki engines. It seems that it doesn't have a carb bowl float, just the solenoid shutoff when the key is turned off, otherwise it is free to siphon the fuel from the tank.

/ Problem with my Kawasaki 691V engine #3  
Had the same thing happen with an old briggs, but it had carb float.

/ Problem with my Kawasaki 691V engine #4  
Had something similar. The cut off was sticking. It is springed closed, and opens on power. The spring wasn't closing it. Tried cleaning, and worked for awhile but ended up replacing it. Not sure why you get fuel into the crankcase. Unless you flooded the cyl, and seeped thru the rings.

You might want to check the fuel pump as well. It has a tube that goes to the crankcase. If the diaphragm is bad, it can leak into the case as well.