Propane Gas Fireplace

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #1  

CurlyDave

Elite Member
Tractor
JD TLB 110
We are putting a propane built-in fireplace in the living room of our new house.

Our GC has suggested a supplier who only carries Lennox brand.

Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Any other brands we should consider?

Any brands to avoid?

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #2  
I don't know specifically about Lennox gas fireplaces but the brand Lennox is certainly very well respected here in New England: Smaller than Carrier and some of the other big gas furnace companies but known for high quality and engineering. Most of the fireplace insert type heaters seem to be made by much smaller companies so Lennox might actually be much better engineered and built given their corporate resources and experience.

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #3  
In our previous house in Alberta we had a Lenox High Efficiency natural gas furnace installed. Very happy with it.

Lenox was a well know popular brand name.

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #4  
I have a Martin direct vent propane gas fireplace in my living room and if I don't have the pilot light lit all the time there is a cold air draft into the room. In fact, when it is sunny outside you can look up through the vent and see daylight! The fireplace only heats our living room.

I purchased the fireplace for two reasons, one the "romantic" atmosphere and two it works when our power is out for emergency heat.

Wes

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #6  
my mom has a buck brand propane fireplace , it's her main heat source ( small house ) Has a remote control , just like a tv

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #7  
I don't know about Lenox they are a known brand but I am on my second propane fire place and I think they are great. no mess no wood and you can turn em on and off when you want and don't have to leave the fireplace open to suck heat out when you are ready for bed. I do not think they are particularly efficient but they are convient. My wife and I just like to sit in front of it for 30 min or so with a glass of wine after she comes home from work and then we can turn it off. could not do tht with real wood. Ours look as real as a real wood fire just does not smell the same. but we do have some stuff you sprinkle on for smell if you really want it. Mine does make quite a bit of heat but I am sure the same amount of propane tru the furnace would be far more efficient. But agin a nice glass of wine in front of the fire place is worth the pennies. here is pic of mine

Attachments

• xmas 019sm.jpg
    xmas 019sm.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 274
   / Propane Gas Fireplace #8  
As far as efficiency goes you may be surprised to know that the heater rated gas fireplaces can be more efficient than a gas furnace at extracting heat but the big benefits are zone heating and lack of duct losses. You lose a huge amount of heat through forced air ducting. You also stand to gain by only heating the room you are in and effectively shrinking your home.

You will also benefit from the radiant heat made by a modern heater rated ags fireplace. I owned a natural gas fireplace and we enjoyed the zone heating and warmth of the heater unit much more than the ducted heat.

/ Propane Gas Fireplace #9  
We have 2 Lennox Wood burning fireplaces with gas logs. We looked at a lot of brands and thought the Lennox very good quality.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• down.JPG
    down.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 283
  • up closed.JPG
    up closed.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 208
  • up open.JPG
    up open.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 281
   / Propane Gas Fireplace #10  
Is that a big poodle? Here is one of mine.

Attachments

• marcel_09sm.jpg
    marcel_09sm.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 192