Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #61  
(removed) - That was great.

FuelOil guys here about that bad. Most won't fill without a contract. I'm so glad I put in geothermal, no more burning oil.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #62  
It just gets better every day I tell you.
Called the company that sent me the prebuy paperwork couple weeks back, they hadn't replied to my email asking for a sumer fill price, or to the voice mail machine I left Monday.

I ask how much, same woman I been dealing with 3 years in a row, she got my account on her magic screen, and starts de crap.
What are you using the propane for?

I light it on fire.

She knew that part, needs to know what I use the fire for.

Then we get to PRICE, Wants $2.499 a gallon.

I say that ain't what you offered me on pre buy.

She sys that offer expired 1 October.

I say it don't say that on the paper.

She says it does too.

Where?

She gotta go get her copy.
She comes back and trys to change the subject.

I say paper says 1.999 minus discounts which is STUPID since I payng in advance why they mess with a discount for check in advance.

She starts dancing and I ain't hearing no fiddle.
I ask her how she like to connect me to the man there whocan explain to me why they waste so much money trying to not sell propane.

She tells me I can leave a message on his answering machine cause he ain't in.

I point out I left a message on her machine Monday and I had to call her again today.
She says she ain't yet got to listening to her messages.

I say fine, can you get to sending me 300 gallon of propane at the price you offered to sell it for, cause if you can't I gotta call the Attorney General like I did with Level Propane.

Well, golee, that price she told me wasn't good today suddenly became good again. All I gotta do is send in the paperwork with a check, and they sell me the propane. Then I can call, and tell them when I want it delivered.

Now she wants to know if I own the tank.
I ask what her screen says.

She didn't look.

I tell you these people working for propane companies must have all went to that fashion design college.
If stupid was painful they all be under the bed with headaches.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #63  
It just gets better every day I tell you.
Called the company that sent me the prebuy paperwork couple weeks back, they hadn't replied to my email asking for a sumer fill price, or to the voice mail machine I left Monday.

I ask how much, same woman I been dealing with 3 years in a row, she got my account on her magic screen, and starts de crap.
What are you using the propane for?

I light it on fire.

She knew that part, needs to know what I use the fire for.

Then we get to PRICE, Wants $2.499 a gallon.

I say that ain't what you offered me on pre buy.

She sys that offer expired 1 October.

I say it don't say that on the paper.

She says it does too.

Where?

She gotta go get her copy.
She comes back and trys to change the subject.

I say paper says 1.999 minus discounts which is STUPID since I payng in advance why they mess with a discount for check in advance.

She starts dancing and I ain't hearing no fiddle.
I ask her how she like to connect me to the man there whocan explain to me why they waste so much money trying to not sell propane.

She tells me I can leave a message on his answering machine cause he ain't in.

I point out I left a message on her machine Monday and I had to call her again today.
She says she ain't yet got to listening to her messages.

I say fine, can you get to sending me 300 gallon of propane at the price you offered to sell it for, cause if you can't I gotta call the Attorney General like I did with Level Propane.

Well, golee, that price she told me wasn't good today suddenly became good again. All I gotta do is send in the paperwork with a check, and they sell me the propane. Then I can call, and tell them when I want it delivered.

Now she wants to know if I own the tank.
I ask what her screen says.

She didn't look.

I tell you these people working for propane companies must have all went to that fashion design college.
If stupid was painful they all be under the bed with headaches.
First, I have to say that your posts are hilarious. I know many of us have been on the line with people asking us questions like this - things that are quite obvious. I got a lot of enjoyment out of reading those.

Anyway, I know this is a very old thread, but I'm going through this stuff right now. I've been leasing a tank from a company for a while. They wiped the floor with me the first winter to the tune of a few thousand by the time it was all said and done. I put in a wood-burning stove that summer and only fill up with propane once a year (getting their summer rate). Well, they changed the game on me now and started charging more for their tank rental per year cause I don't buy as much from them. So... I called them up a few years ago to ask if they'd sell me the tank. They said they would for a little over $2K. I thought that was too high and said forget it. I continued to lease for a few more years now and got fed up with them again. All the research I've done says that a 15+ year old in-ground tank would go for $500 to $600. But now the company is asking over $4000.00 for the tank. Wow, so they appreciate? LOL Anyway, that's my saga for now. I'm either going to buy the tank at a reasonable price or have them come and get it. I'll have a new one installed if it's gonna be that much.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #64  
First, I have to say that your posts are hilarious. I know many of us have been on the line with people asking us questions like this - things that are quite obvious. I got a lot of enjoyment out of reading those.

Anyway, I know this is a very old thread, but I'm going through this stuff right now. I've been leasing a tank from a company for a while. They wiped the floor with me the first winter to the tune of a few thousand by the time it was all said and done. I put in a wood-burning stove that summer and only fill up with propane once a year (getting their summer rate). Well, they changed the game on me now and started charging more for their tank rental per year cause I don't buy as much from them. So... I called them up a few years ago to ask if they'd sell me the tank. They said they would for a little over $2K. I thought that was too high and said forget it. I continued to lease for a few more years now and got fed up with them again. All the research I've done says that a 15+ year old in-ground tank would go for $500 to $600. But now the company is asking over $4000.00 for the tank. Wow, so they appreciate? LOL Anyway, that's my saga for now. I'm either going to buy the tank at a reasonable price or have them come and get it. I'll have a new one installed if it's gonna be that much.

I'd be very surprised if they'd come out an pull an inground tank. It would cost them way more to excavate to remove it than the used in-ground tank is worth. Around here (Douglas County, NV) no one would even install a rental in-ground. You want it in-ground, you buy it and install it, (which is what I did with my 1,000 tank). I'd say they are calling your bluff. I'd be ready with an alternate company to install a temporary 250 gallon while you shop for an in-ground to put in the whole they leave (assuming they pull it out of spite!).

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #65  
How are the underground tanks inspected? Are they exempt from the same routine inspection/replacement requirements that above-ground tanks must undergo?

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #66  
How are the underground tanks inspected? Are they exempt from the same routine inspection/replacement requirements that above-ground tanks must undergo?
I'm not aware that the above-ground tanks require inspections - unless they are the small ones you haul in to get filled. My tank was installed (above ground) by Amerigas in 1994. It was old and rusty then, it is 27 years older now and more rusty because other than filling it, it has not been touched.

And like the poster above, the yearly rent on that rusty old tank went from $36 a year to $133 a year. I'm now looking to buy a tank of my own.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #67  
I'm not aware that the above-ground tanks require inspections - unless they are the small ones you haul in to get filled. My tank was installed (above ground) by Amerigas in 1994. It was old and rusty then, it is 27 years older now and more rusty because other than filling it, it has not been touched.

And like the poster above, the yearly rent on that rusty old tank went from $36 a year to $133 a year. I'm now looking to buy a tank of my own.
I was doing some more research.....I hadn't read enough before I posted my question. It depends if you have a DOT tank or an ASME tank. Typically the 100 gallon or smaller tanks (usually DOT tanks) require an inspection every 12 years. ASME tanks do not.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #68  
Call them and tell them to come get there tank out of the ground . They wont do it, Tell them then to kiss off and buy your gas elsewhere. That is what i had to do , They put a lock on my tank and when another gas co came out they cut the lock off. I have had no more trouble from them.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #69  
We just had a bad expierience with our propane company and we ready to wash our hands of those crooks. I filed a complaint with the BBB and sent a letter to the State Atty General's office.
Now we want to get another supplier and a new tank, or a new supplier and buy our old (inground) tank from the crooks.
We've had the tank for a little over 10yrs in the ground, what does anyone think that would cost us to buy it? Or even Should we?

thanks
gary
I just converted to natural gas and sold my above ground 500 gallon propane tank to a propane company for $800. I have no idea what used below ground tanks are worth.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #70  
New trick around here is that even with my 'owned tank' the propane companies claim I have to have a new regulator every so many years. And that's at $80 a pop. Always looking for a gimmick, right?