Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #141  
Got rid of my propane tank this year. Heating only with my mini splits and wood stove from here out.

The propane company had updated their policy so that I’d have to purchase twice the capacity of my tank each year to have the tank rental fee waived. I only used less than a tank full each year. Decided it wasn’t worth the trouble anymore since my mini splits are so efficient.
What was it like to get rid of your tank? Did the company come and get it? Was it in-ground, and if so, did they try and charge you a fee to come and dig up their tank?

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #142  
What was it like to get rid of your tank? Did the company come and get it? Was it in-ground, and if so, did they try and charge you a fee to come and dig up their tank?
I’m not the person you replied to, but I also got rid of my tank last year. I actually sold it to the propane company and they came and picked it up and handed me the money. It was above ground so they just connected it to the lift and picked it up.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #143  
I’m not the person you replied to, but I also got rid of my tank last year. I actually sold it to the propane company and they came and picked it up and handed me the money. It was above ground so they just connected it to the lift and picked it up.
Cool beans. The company currently owns the tank I have right now. I'd like to buy it, but they are offering a price I believe is too high. To come and get their tank, they are telling me that they'll charge me a fee to come and dig it up and take it away as well as the price for the tank. I KNOW they did not charge a fee to install it - LOL. These companies...

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #144  
For reference purposes, I've been quoted for a new above ground tank from the dealer: $2525. Seems a bit steep, but I've not been following the LP or steel prices.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #145  
Cool beans. The company currently owns the tank I have right now. I'd like to buy it, but they are offering a price I believe is too high. To come and get their tank, they are telling me that they'll charge me a fee to come and dig it up and take it away as well as the price for the tank. I KNOW they did not charge a fee to install it - LOL. These companies...
I would just tell them that you no longer want to buy propane or lease their tank. They can come and get it or leave it there, but you are no longer a customer. Call their bluff.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #146  
For reference purposes, I've been quoted for a new above ground tank from the dealer: $2525. Seems a bit steep, but I've not been following the LP or steel prices.
What size tank?

A few years ago we (employer) sold about 150 used 1,000 tanks for $800 each. They came from our contracTed chicken farms that had gradually switched to NG as it had became available. The rule of thumb then was $1 per gallon capacity for a tank. Was told they were to be used in gas fracking or something similar up north.

Last edited:
   / Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #147  

Here in Virginia I was quoted 4750 to buy a500 gallon above ground tank. Was quoted 2200 to get set up for rental of a 320 gallon with first fillup. So about 1400 for setup plus LP.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #148  
Here in Virginia I was quoted 4750 to buy a500 gallon above ground tank. Was quoted 2200 to get set up for rental of a 320 gallon with first fillup. So about 1400 for setup plus LP.
Unbelievable. Considering that I sold my used 500 gallon tank for $800 last year. I would look for a refurbished tank.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #149  
It's been a while since I did the math but we bought our 500 gallon tank and got "payback" in just a few years. It works very well to own your tank.

When you do get another tank, a new dealer will want you to replace your pressure valve-regulator- at the house entrance. That's SOP and an important thing for safety because pressure in the storage tank is much higher than the few psi furnaces and such run on. Don't risk your house and family, replace it.

/ Propane Tank, rent or buy 500gal #150  
I would just tell them that you no longer want to buy propane or lease their tank. They can come and get it or leave it there, but you are no longer a customer. Call their bluff.
That's actually my plan if they don't come around on the price. If I decide not to do the propane thing anymore, what are they going to do, just leave their tank there? LOL