Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto??

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #1  

loggin

Platinum Member
Tractor
MX4700
Hello all, I am hoping to get some feedback from people that use an over run clutch/coupler (ORC) on their tractors. I like the idea of saving the pto brake on shut down but was wondering if there is a down side to using them. Added stress or something else?

Also would like to know which ones would be best to buy if I decide to go that route?

Thanks in advance!!

Found this but not sure of the quality of this one or the manufacturer:

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #3  
Other than workinonit's concern, no.

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #5  
The one you found will work on about anything. I got mine on Amazon as well but it may have been less expensive though it looked exactly like that one. There is a more compact type which sells for less but it only works on tractors with a hole drilled through the PTO shaft on the tractor. I did have to shorten my PTO shaft about five inches. Your implement's PTO coupler may not fit easily onto the new attachment. Confirm this before installing on tractor. I had to clean mine up with a file. The first time I used it I thought it had latched. It had not. The PTO shaft slipped back off during use. I had to fabricate a new PTO shaft. The ends and cover were still fine but it dented the shaft itself so it would no longer slide easily in and out. The new shaft was about $100 and a couple hours in the shop. Be sure both ends seat fully and latch!!!

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #7  
I always use one with inertia driven implements like shredders (if the implement don't have one built into the driveline). They do come in a couple different sizes, I happen to run the largest one available (90-150 pto)....and they have a grease fitting to lubricate the internal pawl so keep it greased. It WILL save your internal PTO brake from wear.

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #8  
I think you mean lengthen not shorten. The ORC will increase the pto end stickout about 5".
If ORC is installed collapsed length of telescoping pto shaft will need to be less not more. I agree combined length of tractor male pto shaft with ORC installed will be more than factory tractor male pto shaft.

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #9  
The PTO brake is there for a reason. It's a safety feature in case you need to stop the implement ASAP. I've not needed it yet but I've also not needed my chainsaw chaps in 35 years and I still wear them.

You can save wear on the PTO brake in normal use by throttling down and then once the engine is at idle, turn off the PTO. Even with my chipper which has a 200 lb flywheel that's geared up to turn 2x pto speed, it takes only a couple seconds for the engine to come down to idle.

/ Pros and cons of using an over run clutch/coupler on pto?? #10  
It's kind of amazing the heavier duty and more expensive equipment comes with built in over running clutches.
So must be they are good in those cases. PTO brakes can be extremely expensive to repair or replace, I've heard of some that were well north of $9000. Plus they put a ton of grit and garbage into your hydraulic system.
Even bringing the engine rpm down to idle some implements have considerable inertia stored to be dissipated some how.