Prostate cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Prostate cancer #1  

Barnbuilder

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat A300, Kubota F3680, JCB 212S sold
Anyone here dealt with it? I'm having surgery the 29th.

/ Prostate cancer #2  
They say it's the most common and the most curable;
I'm not going the surgery route with my heart and copd it wasn't the recommended method'
I get my first anti-hormone shot tomorrow and start the radiation treatments in about 6 weeks, daily for several months.
Supposed to be the best way for me, we will see.
Good luck with the surgery.

/ Prostate cancer #3  

I am 5 years out and declared cured. Robotic surgery at Univ. of Michigan hospital. No pain at all from the deal except that they fill your gut up with CO2 to expand the work area. I got the bends in my left shoulder. Yeow, that was tough.

Mine was Gleason 9, 6 out of 12 biopsy samples were "highly agressive". No symptoms, just a routine physical required by my Medicare supplement [ Humana ] with a PSI jumping from 4 to 12. Afterwards, diapers not needed and a great stream and perfect control. You'll be on a catheter for a week while the glue dries. [ I was slightly re-plumbed ]. Viagara for ED. I get to live my life while I'm alive. Total bill was $129,000. I have paid ZERO. Medicare and Humana paid for ALL of it. My friends with Blue Cross have both paid about $20,000 out of pocket. Go check it out while you are waiting. Overall, NOTHING to worry about. It might be hard on your family, but you need to assure them that you'll be fine. All men get it eventually. After a certain age, they won't fix it anymore.

/ Prostate cancer #4  
They say it's the most common and the most curable;
I'm not going the surgery route with my heart and copd it wasn't the recommended method'
I get my first anti-hormone shot tomorrow and start the radiation treatments in about 6 weeks, daily for several months.
Supposed to be the best way for me, we will see.
Good luck with the surgery.

I completed Proton Radiation treatment at Loma Linda University Medical Center in March of 1996.
That will be 23 years ago this coming March.
I was 55 years old then, and am 79 now.
Fantastic, state of the art treatment.
My current PSA is "not measurable".
No side effects ever!
Loma Linda was the only hospital environment treatment center in 1996.
There are now 27 proton treatment centers in the USA.
Proton Radiation treatment is the best of the best, and is Medicare approved.

/ Prostate cancer #5  
It must depend on the type of prostate cancer you have. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 20 some years ago but was told that the type he had was so slow growing that he would die of old age before the cancer got him. They were correct. He died in his sleep just about a year ago at 103. The prostate cancer never was a problem.

/ Prostate cancer
I'm 53. It seems pretty common among firefighters. Our new chief implemented mandatory NFPA physicals and caught it. PSA of 8.2. 5 of 12 biopsies were cancerous. I must say I'm pretty nervous. I'm at a level 6. Also taking my lymph nodes.

/ Prostate cancer #7  
It must depend on the type of prostate cancer you have. My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer 20 some years ago but was told that the type he had was so slow growing that he would die of old age before the cancer got him. They were correct. He died in his sleep just about a year ago at 103. The prostate cancer never was a problem.

103, wow! Maybe it prolonged his life. :confused3:

/ Prostate cancer #8  

There are many variables to consider re Prostate cancer. If you have the luxury of time, educating yourself would be a good first step. I recommend a book called "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer". The worse course of action would no action since death from Prostate cancer is horrible. Assuming you have caught the cancer before it spread outside of the Prostate gland, surgery should solve the problem for the rest of your life.

There are many good forums on this topic. This is one of the best: Prostate Cancer Support, Forums & Message Boards - Cancer Forums

/ Prostate cancer #9  
I was diagnosed 2 years ago, had robotic surgery August of 2017. Came out of it just fine. Not to say I wasn't nervous going into surgery, but I felt all would be fine as it was caught early. Diagnosed 4+3, surgery pathology downgraded it to 3+4. The day after surgery was a big relief for sure. Feel free to PM if you'd like more details. Keep a positive attitude, I felt that was key for me. The mind is a powerful thing.

/ Prostate cancer #10  
There are many variables to consider re Prostate cancer. If you have the luxury of time, educating yourself would be a good first step. I recommend a book called "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer". The worse course of action would no action since death from Prostate cancer is horrible. Assuming you have caught the cancer before it spread outside of the Prostate gland, surgery should solve the problem for the rest of your life.

There are many good forums on this topic. This is one of the best: Prostate Cancer Support, Forums & Message Boards - Cancer Forums

I had an appointment for surgery with Dr Patrick Walsh at John's Hopkins, before I decided on Proton treatment at Loma Linda.
I did 8 months of research!
I could tell you a story about the Walsh scenario, but it would be more like a short book.
Bottom line: After consulting with the Mayo Clinic (Rochester), and Pat Walsh (John's Hopkins), I opted for Proton radiation treatment at Loma Linda, and I am VERY glad that I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.