Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
We can’t grow tomatoes in the ground here, soil is to sandy.. we grow ours in containers on the porch..
& the dogs keep them away from the house..
My soil is basically beach sand, I grow lots of tomatoes!
I compost grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, table scraps etc and add it to my garden
Where bouts in SC are you?

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
Followup on Irish Spring: it didn't work.

I clipped a bar of Irish Spring into a mop handle and rubbed it everywhere I could reach under the house. At entrances, and on the sub-floor structure.

But the raccoons continue to reach up and scrape the floor joists, apparently to get bugs. With the new wifi camera under there, at least we can see that the 2am racket down there isn't something chewing its way up through the floor as we thought previously.

hunt4570

Tractor
Grand L3540 ,724 loader, bucket, grapple and now forks also! And just for OP.. a pool!
Followup on Irish Spring: it didn't work.

I clipped a bar of Irish Spring into a mop handle and rubbed it everywhere I could reach under the house. At entrances, and on the sub-floor structure.

But the raccoons continue to reach up and scrape the floor joists, apparently to get bugs. With the new wifi camera under there, at least we can see that the 2am racket down there isn't something chewing its way up through the floor as we thought previously.
Get a couple jars of the hottest peppers you can find, put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray it around where they are chewing/scratching.. worked on porcupines.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
One horticulturist said to drink lots of beer and urinate around the garden.
He claimed that scent would do the trick!
LOL, I preferred using irish spring soap.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
One horticulturist said to drink lots of beer and urinate around the garden.
He claimed that scent would do the trick!
LOL, I preferred using irish spring soap.
I tried that. The beer taste a lot better!

Bruce