Protective chaps and PPE review

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #2  
I can't recommend those chaps. They found that many people fall over during saw accidents and cut there calves. With that idea, any modern chaps now wrap the users caves with Kevlar. The ones I use do.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review
Good point. How does that effect you when you're walking or general getting around while you're in the woods? Thanks!

I originally read that as ankle, so I had to edit my comment.

Last edited:
   / Protective chaps and PPE review #4  
You don't really notice them any more than regular chaps. They are hot in the summertime, so I tried to do any cutting in the early morning before it gets too warm.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #5  
I agree with jstpssng. Makes no difference that your calves are wrapped for walking. I appreciate longer chaps that cover the top of my boots as much as possible. But do note, 50% of saw chain cuts occur above the operators belt. :confused3:

Yeah good points! Thanks for sharing.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #7  
I agree with jstpssng. Makes no difference that your calves are wrapped for walking. I appreciate longer chaps that cover the top of my boots as much as possible. But do note, 50% of saw chain cuts occur above the operators belt. :confused3:

Is that really true? I thought the vast majority were leg injuries. Seems like all the gory pictures I've seen are legs.

/ Protective chaps and PPE review #8  
Yes its true. After doing the NSF sawyer course some years ago, I looked for and found the statistics of were chain cuts occurred. It was something I read a few years ago, but going by memory they had it broken down to arms, hands, head, shoulder, legs, feet and the like. Most kick back hits people in the head or shoulder. Nonetheless, it was close to 50% above and below your belt. After reading this, I got a Kevlar shirt. Go figure!

Is that really true? I thought the vast majority were leg injuries. Seems like all the gory pictures I've seen are legs.

Attachments

• NCT july clearing.a (DL).jpg
    NCT july clearing.a (DL).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 207
   / Protective chaps and PPE review #9  

I'm not as worried about top of boot or calves as much as wanting the inseam to come together as low as possible, I rather loose a foot than 9". ;)
The ones in the video don't. I have the greatest danger from a bad habit tendency, in rare situations, to swing the saw vertical after a cut, holding it with trigger hand, as other hand moves branches, tosses a chunk aside, etc... . This could be a problem in perfect storm where chain speed hasn't wound down to zero at same time it swings too far down because you're tired, or bumps something and comes back into you.

Yes, the simple answer is don't do that! And I try not to. But with saws you have to be perfect 100% of the time, not 99.9999%. It's that .0001% of the time I want the chaps for.

Yeah, it only takes once, don't it?