PT1850 Lift Capacity

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #1  

agjones

Platinum Member
Tractor
Rk55HC 4n1 fel/bh, Power-Trac 1850, 425d, Terex pt30, Kubota kx033, bx1880, yanmar 8x8 dumper, Magnatrac mh5000 w/ loader, six way blade & backhoe, Dew-eze ATM72LC Slope Mower, Terramite t6 4wd, DR Power brush mower
Can anyone answer if the 1200# lift capacity is relief imposed to try to keep us from killing ourselves on slopes or if it is a physical limitation elsewhere?

Of course, I ask bc I'd like to nudge a little more lift out not a lot, but a few hundred #.

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #2  
It is both. Every time I mention wanting to upgrade the lift capacity, Terry warns me something will break such as the lower mounting plate for the lift arms, or the articulation bearings/mounts.

The lifting capacity for the 1850 sucks for the engine size or is amazing for the slope rating. Just depends upon what is the reference at that moment in time.

Ken

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #3  
I wondered the same about it being limited by a relief or bypass somehow. The loader seems to do marginally well right up until it doesn't; but still seems to have power to spare to run all the other hydraulic services.

In the short conversations I've had with Terry and the PT guys, they seem very serious about the design limits and capacities, less so about electrical....

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #4  
That does seem low, but I use to carry a lot of 1000 lb loads in my 422 with the big bucket.... jim

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity
Thx for the inputs.

I noticed immediately that the qa plate the same mounting pattern as the 425...not the same size... i think the whole lift setup is the same... Except for the plate and arms are thicker.

I can understand why they are more cautious about hydraulic than electric... So I won't push it.... I push plenty of other stuff.

My gut tells me they just don't want us picking up 2k# on a ridiculous slope...

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #6  
Personally, I really notice the leverage effect of heavy loads on slopes. 1800lbs in the 4N1 bucket “feels” way nicer than the same load in the light material bucket, and the 72” brush hog gets a whole lot of sideways torque on the PT going downslope. I’d much rather have the weight in rocks, tucked up close to the center of gravity than the brush hog way out there.

I wonder sometimes about the grass being greener. There are places that I can’t go with my 1445, but I use that extra 600lbs way more often, so I am happy with what I have.

If you really need the heavy lift, there’s always the LT-6540, with 10,000lb of lift. Of course, it’s a little pricier than the 1850..., but it comes with some cool attachments like the 10” wide carbide cutter.

All the best,

Peter

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #7  
With the 1850 and my slightly extended single wheels, I routinely do u-turns on the side of a bank that slopes over 20ー in two directions. And this is with a full load in the bucket held ~4' high. Do not even think twice about doing it. It would be nice to also own a 1460.

Ken

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #8  
With the 1850 and my slightly extended single wheels, I routinely do u-turns on the side of a bank that slopes over 20ー in two directions. And this is with a full load in the bucket held ~4' high. Do not even think twice about doing it. It would be nice to also own a 1460.

Ken

Man, I could log out my existing 10 acre woods in just a couple weeks with a PT1460 and some tongs on a QA plate! :thumbsup:

I've got a time-lapse of my on my PT425 pulling some firewood logs last year. It's kinda comical. I need to put it to Yakety Sax and post it.

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #9  
I would like to see that.

/ PT1850 Lift Capacity #10  
Yeah, I work on a 35 degree slope with a full load in a bucket raised up high. You can feel it pulling, but I have never felt it going over. Would not want to go any further altough I think it probably could. I love doing figure 8's with a full load on my 25 degree slopes in front of the neighbors... While I will not knock their bx's they can't do the slopes and it makes me smile.