PTO driveshaft replacement

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #1  

MACflyer

Tractor
Yanmar SA424
I recently acquired a used Land Pride rototiller, but the driveshaft is too short for my tractor. Do I need to replace the entire shaft, or can I find just the tractor side and replace one end?
Second, the current driveshaft has a slip clutch. Is the slip clutch part of the driveshaft, and if replaced I would need another driveshaft with slip clutch? Or is the slip clutch removable from the driveshaft, and could be installed on a new driveshaft? It looks to me like it's one complete unit.
Basic rookie questions, but I couldn't find any answers through the search or Google...

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #2  
I recently acquired a used Land Pride rototiller, but the driveshaft is too short for my tractor. Do I need to replace the entire shaft, or can I find just the tractor side and replace one end?
Second, the current driveshaft has a slip clutch. Is the slip clutch part of the driveshaft, and if replaced I would need another driveshaft with slip clutch? Or is the slip clutch removable from the driveshaft, and could be installed on a new driveshaft? It looks to me like it's one complete unit.
Basic rookie questions, but I couldn't find any answers through the search or Google...
Your questions and guesses are all valid answers.

Specifically you would need to take an image of your shaft to confirm if it is one of the combined units or if the clutch was added.

Most times it is cheaper to buy both haves of a shaft used than it is to buy one half new. It is also usually helpful to have an extra around if you ever need a joint or get an implement closer to your tractor.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #4  
As I recall (couldn't find the reference), there's a minimum overlap (2/3rds comes to mind) to ensure safety. Starting with a new PTO set, equal amounts are to be cut off both sections.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #5  
How much too short is the driveshaft? If it's only a couple inches too short you can get a PTO extension or an overrun clutch to put between the tractor and the driveshaft. Otherwise you're probably looking at a whole new driveshaft.
Unsure running two clutches on the same shaft is a wise choice.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #6  
I had a 1/2 shaft built (old 1” square style) and it was not cheap by the tine you get a yoke, U joint, etc…. That being said, an entire shaft was not cheap either (not in Canada anyways)
My overlap is no where near the 2/3 as mentioned above, right or wrong, it still works, and, having added length to only one side, the joint is not in the middle either, another apparent no-no…. We won’t talk about the shielding.
If you do get another 1/2 shaft, make sure the yokes are ‘timed’/ ‘phased’ correctly.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement
Your questions and guesses are all valid answers.

Specifically you would need to take an image of your shaft to confirm if it is one of the combined units or if the clutch was added.

Most times it is cheaper to buy both haves of a shaft used than it is to buy one half new. It is also usually helpful to have an extra around if you ever need a joint or get an implement closer to your tractor.
I attached a picture, I'm not sure if I can pull it off at the yoke?
How much too short is the driveshaft? If it's only a couple inches too short you can get a PTO extension or an overrun clutch to put between the tractor and the driveshaft. Otherwise you're probably looking at a whole new driveshaft.
It's not even close, the two halves overlap by maybe 1/2 inch when I lower the tiller.

So I guess I need a whole new driveshaft. That leaves me wondering if I need to find one with a clutch, or can I pull this clutch off at the yoke and throw it on a new one?
PXL_20210725_215006023.jpg

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #8  
Here's a link to a nice shaft and new clutch;
I like these Bare-Co shafts especially if you are going to use a guard.
These guards are easy to unlatch and slid together to make hooking up the pto easy and also easy to grease.
https://www.bare-co.com/files-pto2002-pto19

They also have all the parts to just rebuild your shaft.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #9  
Yeah you could pull it off if you were so inclined and have a ujoint puller already.

Sounds like you need to look around for another shaft; find the shaft and if it doesn't have a clutch add one or split your and swap it so you have a standard pto and the long one with a clutch on it.

/ PTO driveshaft replacement #10  
I was in the same boat with a tiller I got recently. It was cheaper to buy a complete shaft/clutch assembly from agristore.com. They also carry tines for every tiller ever made. I paid $239 for my new assembly.