PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #1  

SDavisH

Tractor
JD 2020
I am attempting to replace the PTO shaft oil seal on my 2020 and I cannot get it out of the quill. I can only seem to remove bits and pieces at a time. Attached is a picture of what I’m dealing with. Is there a chemical out there that would dissolve it or help speed up the process? I’m about to drop $200 on a new quill just so I can move on, but I thought I’d ask for some ideas first.

IMG_2094.JPG

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #2  
I'm trying to think what pto shaft seal you're referring to. What is the seal part #? In the part I utilized a slide hammer with a screw attached to end to remove seals in blind areas by screwing into seal in a couple of different locations then operating hammer.

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #3  
My guess is key 18
2020ptosealk18.JPG

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020
Yes, it is key 18. Thanks, Zebrafive.

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #5  
Curious as to what meaning is the "arrow" on the OP's pic at about 11 o'clock? Is that part threaded and turns out? Must be behind the seal being removed.
Maybe a bearing retainer?

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020
I’m not sure what the arrow refers to, but there are no threads on the oil seal. Upon closer inspection it does appear that I am removing the rubber portion from the metal portion of the seal itself. Which explains why it seemed glued to it. Is there some sort of trick to get these out? I don’t see how you can get something in between the seal and quill without possibly damaging the quill.

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #7  
If/when you have the new seal, you will see how they are made.

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #9  
Are you referring to item #16 as the quill? And is item #16 the part with the seal you are trying to remove?

/ PTO shaft oil seal removal JD 2020 #10  
Isn't one side of your seal made of metal? If so I'll repeat acquire a slide hammer with the screw attachment. Put screw in metal portion of seal then operate slide hammer to pop seal out. Easy-peasy. BTDT