PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q?

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #11  
My loader mounted snow blower with rear hydroPower Pac is about 90% done now. I stopped working on it during the summer months and just got to it again. The "smoke test" went fine the other day and took some more pictures. If I had to order something it was from Speedy Metals, Discount Hydraulic Hose and most of all from Surplus Center.... Hydraulic Pump, Hyd. Motor and 25 gal tank, and all the NPT and JIC 37 fittings. Order to Surplus Center on Sunday night and Thursday UPS would deliver the goods. Surplus center does a fine job. Hopefully the pics will tell the story. I am so glad not to look side-saddle backing up but look out front going forward!

I did not include Quick Disconnects for now since I want unrestricted flow. Later I'll find the right QD(s) and do the 3/4" pressure hose and return plus the 3/8" case drain. I expect it will do a fine job of snow blowing and come spring will be time to dismount and add the QDs. I generally don't run a full 540 on the PTO (about 2700 rpm). You might see the sprocket on the Hyd Motor (pic) is 16 tooth and 15 on the blower shaft to compensate for my lower rpm.

The system is a totally separate closed hydraulic system and merely reacts to whether the PTO is on or off at the operator set engine tach rpm. The blower is an existing one I bought new about 30+ years ago. The oem 3 ph just stuck it out too far forward so I built an adapter frame between the blower and my pin-on LA852 loader which brought the blower over 4" closer to the tractor loader. Much nicer and well worth the time.

The Hyd Pump weighs a lot so I specifically wanted it to be part of the 3 ph frame that carries the tank. You can see the double universal + shaft + spline adapter that with the shear pin pulled the assembly comes easily right out. No undo hand lifting required.

Hope this helps someone?

Does this belong in the "Projects" forum?[/

Good afternoon...
I am going to convert my rear mounted 72? 3pt hitch snow blower to the the front. Mounting it to the front, using a 雉*uick detach plate is the easy part. I do have a few questions for you regarding the hydraulics.

My tractor is a 55 hp, 47 hp at the PTO....and the snow blower is a WOODMAXX 72 in. I’ve had it a few years and it works great....it requires( states on the tag) a minimum of 25HP to operate.

After reading your design/ build posts from a few years back, I was wondering if everything you used on your snowblower projects still works as good as you hoped?

I plan on using a 20 gallon tank for hyd fluid.

I plan on using the tractors rear remotes to raise/ lower and rotate chute.

I just want to make sure that what you used, regarding PTO PUMP and HYD MOTOR is the right size for my project?

Thank you and anyone that can offer positive ideas on this upcoming project

Older retired guy.....

John

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #12  
My loader mounted snow blower with rear hydroPower Pac is about 90% done now. I stopped working on it during the summer months and just got to it again. The "smoke test" went fine the other day and took some more pictures. If I had to order something it was from Speedy Metals, Discount Hydraulic Hose and most of all from Surplus Center.... Hydraulic Pump, Hyd. Motor and 25 gal tank, and all the NPT and JIC 37 fittings. Order to Surplus Center on Sunday night and Thursday UPS would deliver the goods. Surplus center does a fine job. Hopefully the pics will tell the story. I am so glad not to look side-saddle backing up but look out front going forward!

I did not include Quick Disconnects for now since I want unrestricted flow. Later I'll find the right QD(s) and do the 3/4" pressure hose and return plus the 3/8" case drain. I expect it will do a fine job of snow blowing and come spring will be time to dismount and add the QDs. I generally don't run a full 540 on the PTO (about 2700 rpm). You might see the sprocket on the Hyd Motor (pic) is 16 tooth and 15 on the blower shaft to compensate for my lower rpm.

The system is a totally separate closed hydraulic system and merely reacts to whether the PTO is on or off at the operator set engine tach rpm. The blower is an existing one I bought new about 30+ years ago. The oem 3 ph just stuck it out too far forward so I built an adapter frame between the blower and my pin-on LA852 loader which brought the blower over 4" closer to the tractor loader. Much nicer and well worth the time.

The Hyd Pump weighs a lot so I specifically wanted it to be part of the 3 ph frame that carries the tank. You can see the double universal + shaft + spline adapter that with the shear pin pulled the assembly comes easily right out. No undo hand lifting required.

Hope this helps someone?

Does this belong in the "Projects" forum?

Ive been trying to ask a few questions and not sure if I知 doing it right

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #13  
i have a 25 gal rear tank on mine, use 1" hoses out to blower and for return. 45 HP tractor. pump puts out 15 GPM at 3,000 PSI. works fine. but there is also a return hose from pump to tank. i did not build mine, it was a purchase.

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #14  
I’m interested in purchasing the quick attach hydraulic power pack and loader mounted snowblower probably the same as yours!!! I really want to talk to someone, and see if it actually is working, someone to make dang sure the product works!?! And it is worth spending 12 to 15 thousand dollars on it first before I invest in it!!! I would probably even come out there and watch it work!( Long trip live in North Dakota )!! But mainly want to talk to someone like you that would have first hand knowledge!! A person can listen to the salesman all you want, but seeing is believing!! My email is: roboyd1215@icloud.com or cell# is: (701)-680-0704 Robert Ptacek is my name. Would really like to talk to you! Thinking about purchasing one for next winter???

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #15  
Problem is we have no snow. It really works fine. I would have gone with a cheaper front frame mount blower if

1. I did not have to remove the snow coming off the buildings, and sticking 4 feet in the air
2. i did not have a mid pto, and did not want all the undercarriage work necessary to be driven by rear pto.

its really does a great job. Only issue I have had in 10 years is the lower center impeller metal has been eaten away by all the stupid rocks sucked up over the years. I Am going to repair it after this season is over. I have all the equipment to make a new liner for it. Won’t take too long.

i can’t fault the blower, as my old farm king had the same issues. Its the early season and late season snows that hide the stupid rocks.

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #16  
Problem is we have no snow. It really works fine. I would have gone with a cheaper front frame mount blower if

1. I did not have to remove the snow coming off the buildings, and sticking 4 feet in the air
2. i did not have a mid pto, and did not want all the undercarriage work necessary to be driven by rear pto.

its really does a great job. Only issue I have had in 10 years is the lower center impeller metal has been eaten away by all the stupid rocks sucked up over the years. I Am going to repair it after this season is over. I have all the equipment to make a new liner for it. Won’t take too long.

i can’t fault the blower, as my old farm king had the same issues. Its the early season and late season snows that hide the stupid rocks.
Yes, I was afraid you guys were out of snow! THANKS A LOT FOR THE QUICK REPLY!! I visited with Brian at quick attach was trying to arrange a visit with a customer in Minnesota that has the same rig but no snow here any more either! Too late in the season!

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #17  
I have two tractors L39TLB and BX2680 and two hydraulic front snow blowers, commercial Loftness 60” and front mount Ariens 48” converted to hydraulic motor. I built my rear pto pump , tank, etc. First, in all setups I got good snow removal performance. I started with pump on back of L39 and hoses to front for Loftness. Didn’t like hose setup and added complexity when I added cab to L39. Rebuild Ariens 48” to use rear pump and this winter completed hard pipe to front. I don’t get a lot of snow in SE Michigan. But my rear pump will slow down my 2680 with blower load... so I slow down the feed. My rear pump is 9.9 cu in 540 rpm pump. I’ve lined my blowers with uhmw poly.... and have not had any blockages. I have concrete drive so no rocks, although gravel road and I clear that partly. I have a pressure gauge on pump and watch with varying snow load. Max pressure has been under 1000 psi . Full pressure and flow from pump takes 30 hp.. BX is like 19hp. But I vary my tractor rpm and generally do not run at full 540 pto / volume to motor 3.3 cu in.
On L39,, I changed motor from 4.9 in to 3.9 cu in and now run that off my front aux hydraulic tap. Blows fine, but rig is big and with backhoe on, hard on nearby garage doors or anything else I do not see until too late. So I like the smaller rig, but it is still longer than mechanical setup. I should add, both blowers have electric shute controls. L39- hard wired with plugs and BX has wireless key fob.
First pic is BX , then L39

Attachments

• A4F0843D-9893-4B81-9FC9-8DE8BD20155C.png
    A4F0843D-9893-4B81-9FC9-8DE8BD20155C.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 95
  • 4A9F586D-3852-4CCA-884F-0530577F3FE6.jpeg
    4A9F586D-3852-4CCA-884F-0530577F3FE6.jpeg
    8.6 MB · Views: 87
  • A204E77F-A4F5-4612-84B2-125370912820.jpeg
    A204E77F-A4F5-4612-84B2-125370912820.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
   / PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #18  
Thanks for the pictures and the reply!

/ PTO Snow Blower, hydraulic drive, on Frt Loader Q? #19  
I also use a Prince PTO pump for a loader mounted snow blower. Some horsepower is lost in the hydraulics, but I love the setup.

Not sure if you plan to use one, but I have a Prince motor control valve plumbed in. It allows reversing the flow to the blower, which is very useful clearing the auger of a jamb (stray rock...). It also has a relief valve.