PTO snow blower odd shear pin install

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #1  

pd tractor

I became responsible for running a JD 4020 with plow and snow blower. I cannot tell the make and model of the snowblower, I just know that it's about 5 feet wide.
My quandary is that the sheer pin went on it, and it's not straightforward how to install a new one.
I have enclosed a sketch of the PTO parts; the left comes from the blower and the right from the PTO. it appears that there is a slot the bolt can go into on the blower side, and on the PTO side there's a quarter inch hole where the two meet, and a much larger hole behind where I can't see. (dotted line)
My question is, how do I install the bolt? it appears that I can put a bolt through the back (PTO side) and then drop a nut into the slot on the blower side then screw the bolt in to the nut. Does this sound correct?
I can't think of any other reason it would be this way.
Thank you!
21BC02A1-F36A-4A00-A00A-6096726E7F7F.jpeg

Last edited:
   / PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #2  
I have a blower with similar style shear bolt and installs exactly as you describe. On mine the bolt needs to be given length or the end of the bolt hits before the nut gets tight.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install
I have a blower with similar style shear bolt and installs exactly as you describe. On mine the bolt needs to be given length or the end of the bolt hits before the nut gets tight.
Excellent, thanks very much!
I'll just round up a collection of bolts and see which one works.
Actually, I need to go to the hardware store to pick up some grade 5, 1/4 inch bolts which I kind of need anyways for my other implements.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #4  
Did you double check size? My little 52 inch blower uses 5/16 shear pin on the PTO shaft.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #5  
Grade 5 (hardened) is probably too strong. Most shear pins are grade two (unmarked), so the bolt shears before something important breaks.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #6  
My rear mounted snowblower built in Canada according to the owners manual requires a 1/4 x 1 inch shear bolt for the auger and a 8mm x 50mm bolt for the PTO. I use self locking nuts on both otherwise they simply don’t stay tight.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #7  
Same kind of bolt set up in mine. I put in two bolts, check them every time I use the blower. Didn't take long to shear one at a time. Didn't hit anything or even load the engine down.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install
Thanks everyone
5/16 bolt, maybe 1" and nut fit just right! Explains why there were a lot of ~1 inch 5/16 bolts in the big bucket of bolts sitting in the garage.

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #9  
likely the auger shear bolt situation requires a carriage bolt.
The square shank under the heat of the bolt secures the bolt from rotating while the nut is tightened
carriage bolt
Dave M7040

/ PTO snow blower odd shear pin install #10  
likely the auger shear bolt situation requires a carriage bolt.
The square shank under the heat of the bolt secures the bolt from rotating while the nut is tightened
carriage bolt
Dave M7040
Unless the slot is just the right size to capture the head of a hex head bolt.