PTO speeds

/ PTO speeds #1  

pycoed

Silver Member
Tractor
Zetor 7045; Wheelhorses C121, C101, A8;Cushman Turf truckster
My PTO has two options (plus neutral). One is 540 & the use is obvious, but the other is "Ground Speed" - what would that be used for?

/ PTO speeds #2  
A couple I can think of are hay rake and manure spreader.

/ PTO speeds #3  
Ground speed is tied to tractor motion. The other posters mentioned a couple implements that are quite often used on a ground speed pto... I've even seen some seeder / spreaders used this way.. etc..

Soundguy

/ PTO speeds
Mickey_Fx said:
A couple I can think of are hay rake and manure spreader.
Ground speed is tied to tractor motion. The other posters mentioned a couple implements that are quite often used on a ground speed pto... I've even seen some seeder / spreaders used this way.. etc..

Soundguy

Makes sense to me!

/ PTO speeds #5  
Mostly a side rake.

A nifty thing is a powered wagon - make a 2wheel trailer from an old truck rear axle, run the driveshaft to the pto, get the gearing right, and you can have a heavy dump trailer that will handle poor snow/mud conditions because it's wheels also pull the load.

--->Paul

/ PTO speeds #6  
pycoed said:
My PTO has two options (plus neutral). One is 540 & the use is obvious, but the other is "Ground Speed" - what would that be used for?

Ground speed PTO was the brainchild of Harry Ferguson. It was standard equipment on later Ferguson models, and still used well into the MASSEY Ferguson days. It made the PTO shaft rotate one revolution per every 20" of ground travel. Ferguson implements that employed the ground speed drive were hay rakes, manure spreaders, and fertilizer spreaders. I've heard rumors of a ground drive planter, but have yet to actually see any evidence of such. (I collect Ferguson and Massey Ferguson manuals and literature and haven't seen ANY indication of a pto driven planter.)