PTO stuck on Rotary Mower

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #11  
I haven't been able to get the snap ring back on it's in a tight place. Do they make a special tool for them? I get it half way on then it snaps in the grass! :)
Keep trying. My hog has an actual external snap ring with ears that will accept a pair of snap ring pliers. I use ones with the 90⁰ tips.

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower
Does anyone know where i can buy a HHCS 1/2NC X 3 1/2 PL2 MUST BE GR2 FOR SHER BOLT?

Tractor supply had them but no indication of grade. I can find them online but they are priced very high. I don't have many options where i live.

BTW how can i get this C ring back on? There are usually two holes at the end.

Attachments

• IMG_0570 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0570 - Copy.jpg
    922 KB · Views: 49
   / PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #13  
Just regular bolts that TS has in their bins and sell by the pound. Be sure to grease the universal joints.

Did the snap ring come from the tractor end of the PTO shaft? If so, be careful the sliding locking mechanism will fall apart and you could lose the balls the lock into the tractor PTO shaft. Get one end of the snap ring into the groove and lock it there with vise grips and then just pry the ring around the shaft, it'll snap right back in.

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower
Just regular bolts that TS has in their bins and sell by the pound. Be sure to grease the universal joints.

Did the snap ring come from the tractor end of the PTO shaft? If so, be careful the sliding locking mechanism will fall apart and you could lose the balls the lock into the tractor PTO shaft. Get one end of the snap ring into the groove and lock it there with vise grips and then just pry the ring around the shaft, it'll snap right back in.

So Just regular bolts will do? I worry about getting one to strong and damaging my tractor if i hit something large.

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #15  
Be advised that TSC has bins with "regular" (grade 2), grade 5, and grade 8 bolts. Make sure you get the grade 2 bolts, (hint: they will be the lowest cost).

/ PTO stuck on Rotary Mower #16  
They make retaining ring pliers made special just for your type of ring. That’s a tough spot to work a ring back on without the right tool. Can be done by working it back into the groove without special pliers if you like puzzles. That spring ring a lot energy and like to fly so be careful. Amazon or eBay.
Had a backhoe pins that used that used heavy retaining rings of that type. After a few times it was worth buying the pliers. Good tool for any mechanics tool box and part of reward for mastering new skills. On the job training. Some auto parts lend speciality tools just not sure if that would be one.