Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I’m considering buying a drag harrow (standard chain type) to pull with my Polaris 550 ATV. I’m looking at a 6’ wide, 8’ long Tractor Supply version the weighs about 248 pounds. I want to pull it over tilled soil after broadcasting seed. Will this be too big for my ATV to handle?
Any of you guys pull a chain harrow with an ATV?

And yes, I know you can pull other homemade drags. I’ve done that, but was specifically interested is this “store bought”version.

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #3  
Good point-gears will be the better one as belts will burn. You should be ok though-I used to drag an old queen bed (just the springs) to do the same thing and I have a Honda Rincon (torque converter type transmission). I think some manufactures require 2hp per foot for medium dragharrows.

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #4  
Be sure to use low gear

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #5  
You'll be fine, we pull lots of things with a quad and push snow along with off road riding. Atv's are tougher than many think.

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #6  
Not an ATV but I pull a 4'X4' TSC drag harrow behind the Mule. I pull it tines down and folding backwards without any issues to break up manure in the pasture and to smooth out topsoil. Pulling it with the tines down and forward is tough and pulls up lots of grass. I wish I had gotten a larger one.

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV
By larger, I guess you mean a wider harrow. Yes I agree . A four footer would mean lots more passes. That’s why I was thinking of this 6’ wide one.
I’ve read the 2 hp per foot suggestion. But I wasn’t sure they were talking about tractors or ATV. My ATV has 40 hp (I think). But it’s no where close to a 40 hp tractor in pulling power.

/ Pulling a drag harrow with an ATV #8  
I pull a tractor supply harrow which is 6' wide and 4' deep. Pull it on sand with my Polaris 550 sportsman with no problem. Sometimes have to use 4x4 depending on condition of sand.