Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #1  

tractor-rookie

Tractor
TYM 254
Hi. As it says in the title, I have a TYM 254 tractor running a Puma-254 chain. I believe that the chain has been stretched. That's how I found this web site, searching for info on how to route the chain tensioner. I adjusted the tension sprocket down almost as far as it would go, and got the tension required to keep the chain running smoothly, at least for the time being. Now I'm concerned that the chain may be over stretched and at risk for failure, which I would not want to see happen next time I go to use it. Should I be purchasing a new chain for the blower? I was also thinking of purchasing a chain breaker, and learning how to use one, so that if anything goes wrong I will be somewhat prepared to fix it when the time comes. I'm also wondering if I could just use a chain breaker to remove 1 or 2 links from the existing chain, rather than changing the whole thing? Thanks. As a basic NEWB I would love to get some advice about the right thing to do with the blower chain. Cheers

Attachments

• blower 1.jpg
    blower 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • blower 2.jpg
    blower 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • blower 3.jpg
    blower 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 76
   / Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #2  
Hi. As it says in the title, I have a TYM 254 tractor running a Puma-254 chain. I believe that the chain has been stretched. That's how I found this web site, searching for info on how to route the chain tensioner. I adjusted the tension sprocket down almost as far as it would go, and got the tension required to keep the chain running smoothly, at least for the time being. Now I'm concerned that the chain may be over stretched and at risk for failure, which I would not want to see happen next time I go to use it. Should I be purchasing a new chain for the blower? I was also thinking of purchasing a chain breaker, and learning how to use one, so that if anything goes wrong I will be somewhat prepared to fix it when the time comes. I'm also wondering if I could just use a chain breaker to remove 1 or 2 links from the existing chain, rather than changing the whole thing? Thanks. As a basic NEWB I would love to get some advice about the right thing to do with the blower chain. Cheers

Chain wears out, faster if not oiled.

Old chain will have a master link with a clip. You can shorten the chain a couple links and put it back on, but keep in mind a well worn chain will eventually ruin the sprockets.

Depending on how long the chain is, two links short might be too much, you might have to use a "half link" to put it back together.

You can buy new chain and cut it to length and be new again. It's likely #50 chain, should be stamped on it. Usually can be bought cheap at parts supply place.

I don't use chain breaker, put in vise, and use angle grinder to take head off of the rivet and pin punch to push it out.

I keep various chain, master links and half links on hand. Broken chain not fun in middle of storm or job and everything closed.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #3  
   / Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #4  

NOOOOOO; no chain mending of old chain with new chain links period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RULE number 1.

Roller chain for snow blowers is to be tight on the top run of chain to maintain tension on the chain flight
as it rotates in only one direction. By doing this the lower flight of chain will stay tight on the sprocket teeth.

Rule number 2.

Top run sprocket roller chain tensioners are either the torsion type with the rubber flexing tensioning spring arm
or the adjustable type with the worm adjuster. With the worm thread adjuster very little tension is needed to keep
a roller chain tight with a worm thread tensioner-very little.

Rule number 3.

Oil the chain using good 90 weight oil wiped on with a rag or motorcycle chain lube in the spray can.

If you use the snow blower every day you should oil the chain every couple of days as well as greasing the PTO shaft spiders/crosses/bearings and also greasing the PTO shafts grease fitting(s).

Now as far as the PTO shaft you may have a grease fitting in the yoke as well as a grease fitting in the side of the outer sleeve they both should be greased with 8-10 pumps of grease. for every 8 hours of use.
pump one or two pumps of grease in the tensioner sprocket as well every 8 hours of use
You need to grease the fittings every couple of days depending on how many hours you use that beautiful made in Quebec snow blower.
The cross shaft open flange bearing needs to be greased as well with a few pumps of grease.
The open flange bearings supporting the snow blowers open auger needs to be greased as well with a few pumps of grease EVERY 8 HOURS of use.

About tools YES, you need to buy the following items:

1 box of #50 roller chain-this is normally a 10 foot length of chain in the box- by the time you buy a smaller length of chain you will pay more for it per foot
than just buying a 10 foot box of #50 chain.

You need to buy:

6 master links.
1 chain breaker for # 50 chain.
1 hand chain tensioner for 50 chain-you need this to pull both ends of the roller chain together to install the master link. You use the tool by placing the tensioning jaws in between the upper and lower flight of the new roller chain to bring the ends of the roller chain together.

You also have to install the master link with the pins facing in. It is easy to do before you lace the chain on the sprockets.
Back the tensioner sprocket off all the way before you lace the new chain on the sprockets as you want enough slack in the
roller chain to move it to put the chain together with the master link using the chain tensioner.

Put the new chain and master link together and then put the master links in the chain box and put the chain tools in the toolbox.

Last edited:
   / Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #5  
The chain on my blower definitely stretched over time, and I broke it many times when something would get wedged in the auger. After a while you just need to replace it. I compared my old with new and it was quite remarkable how much it has stretched. I always kept a few master links in the tractor so I could get things running again in case of a break. I probably should have replaced the chain much sooner than I did. None of the parts are particulaly expensive, so really no excuse for letting it go so long.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #6  
Let me start off by saying pardon my ignorance on the matter, and I apologize in advance, just trying to understand this better. Now that that is out of the way, what is the difference between removing a link or two versus getting a new chain? I am aware visually how sprockets wear down, but how does a chain wear down? I thought that it stretched, hence the need for a new chain or removing a link or two.

I ask as I have a MK Martin Meteor blower and my tensioner gear is nearing the bottom of its adjustment channel as well.

Thank you much folks.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #8  
In case anyone else is wondering, the chain doesn't stretch per se, the metal is the metal and does not stretch, but the pins will wear, causing the pitch (length) to expand.

So, as there is the wear in the pins and inner links, it is best to spend the $40 on a new chain, versus taking a link out and still having the wear in the pins and inner links.

Learning morning for me. New chain is ordered. For what it's worth, my blower took a #60 chain.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #9  
My round baler is all roller chain driven and the chains get oiled after every use and I've never had any stretch after the initial run in. I use motorcycle spray on chain lube when the chains are warm.

/ Puma-54 Snowblower chain stretching #10  
My 25 year old, heavily used snow blower is on the original chain and I've never taken a link out. I have a spare chain in the shop, bought it 20 years ago.....