Push Mower Surprise

/ Push Mower Surprise #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
To make a long story short, my string trimmer cratered on me last week. I have a Murray push mower with a Briggs engine, that has been sitting in my shop for at least three years, maybe more like five and never been started. I pulled it out today, dusted it off and checked the gas. It seems I ran it dry last time I used it, so the tank was empty. I filled it, and the darn thing started on the first pull! Imagine my surprise; I was prepared for it to not start, period. Renewed my faith in the "Made in the USA" slogan.
I guess I am what might be described as a "Happy Camper"!

/ Push Mower Surprise #2  
Did the same with my Tecumseh powered Toro this year.

/ Push Mower Surprise #3  
I almost never have trouble starting my old Briggs engines after they sit. My Honda powered pressure washer, not so much. It will give me a fit every time.

/ Push Mower Surprise
I almost never have trouble starting my old Briggs engines after they sit. My Honda powered pressure washer, not so much. It will give me a fit every time.

You had to mention the Honda power washer. I have one of them also, that sits right beside the push mower. It has not been started in about three years...so I guess I know what to expect.

/ Push Mower Surprise #5  
Might been good thing you ran out of fuel before the long nap,with todays gas could have had gum up carb.

/ Push Mower Surprise
Might been good thing you ran out of fuel before the long nap,with todays gas could have had gum up carb.

Yeah; but I like to think that I did that purposely! :laughing:

/ Push Mower Surprise #7  
I have a neighbor who has an old MTD non-self propelled walk behind push mower. It sits outside in the yard year round, sunshine or rain, and has for several years. He told me once that he wished it would die so he could justify buying a "good" new mower, but it just keeps going.:laughing: If I treated my much more expensive mower that way, I figure there's no way it would last a year,

/ Push Mower Surprise #8  
Great news.
My 20yr old Craftsman push mower has a 6hp BS on it. One push of the primer, one pull of the chord it fires right up. Only use pure gas in it.

/ Push Mower Surprise #9  
I have a neighbor who has an old MTD non-self propelled walk behind push mower. It sits outside in the yard year round, sunshine or rain, and has for several years. He told me once that he wished it would die so he could justify buying a "good" new mower, but it just keeps going.:laughing: If I treated my much more expensive mower that way, I figure there's no way it would last a year,

Guess he doesn't know what a good mower is.

/ Push Mower Surprise
Great news.
My 20yr old Craftsman push mower has a 6hp BS on it. One push of the primer, one pull of the chord it fires right up.
Only use pure gas in it

Me too! That's all I ever buy, even for her car and my truck. Thank goodness it's available here.