Putting mower to bed for the winter

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #1  

bmg88201

Gold Member
Tractor
JD X300
Maybe I go a little over board tucking my mower in for the winter.

change oil an filter
replace both foam and paper air filter, old foam filter was shot
new plugs - old ones were 2 years old
grease all zerts on chassis and deck
clean all debris from deck
inspect deck and drive belts
sharpen and balance blades
remove wheels and grease axels
adjust deck height
remove battery and put on trickle charger indoors
clean all debris from under mower and engine
fill tank to the brim with non ethanol premium with a little sea foam added
clean exterior of mower
I made some stands to keep weight off the tires for the next 5/6 months

Do I have a little OCD, ummmmmm maybe

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #2  
Just a bit…..

mine gets a cleaning, oil change and grease. Sits indoors all winter in carriage barn, but sits on its own tires. Battery removed and kept in heated tackroom with other summer batteries. Gets switched onto trickle charger over winter.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter
I keep it out of the weather too. Oh I did change transmission fluid this Spring, only put 75 hours on it since then. Won’t do that again till end of next year. And I put a couple of mouse glue traps under the mower too, dang mice !!!

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #4  
My JD430 has been relegated to snow blower duty for the last couple of years. I got tired of switching from mower deck to cab, blower, weights and chains every year, so I bought a BX2230 that does lawn duty and wet, sloppy snow removal when necessary.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #5  
I might wash mine. The battery is already shot and due replacement. I’ve been jumping it to get by until next spring.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #7  
Mouse poison, not wasting money on repellant. They just go elsewhere or get used to the smell. No net gain, IMO.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter
At my place it’s free Skippy peanut butter for all the mice. I put it on the glue traps and conventional mouse traps. No poison, they just crawl somewhere and stink for two weeks. I use live traps for the rats, then Mr. Ruger has a brief one sided talk with them.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #9  
I have had extremely good results using mint oils to deter mice.
My technique is to take a small medicine bottle, drill a bunch of 3/32" holes in it, put some cotton balls in the bottle, soak with oils, cap and place.
Since I started using this system I have zero mice in my cars and equipment.

/ Putting mower to bed for the winter #10  
Good maintenance regiment. Cleaning is important for winter storage. Dont let the nasty grass decompose on the deck, and stuck to the underside. It rots out the deck.

I also apply a coat of paint to the underside. Just whatever color I have enough of to spare.

BUT.....I save all the fluids and filter changes for the spring.

No point in letting fresh fluids and filters start their decomposing lifecycle with a 6-month head start. The condensation that will form from temp swings in the oil, potential bugs and mice getting in new filters that NEVER even saw use, etc etc.

Good cleaning and deck calibration, greasing, etc in the fall. Fluids and filters in spring