Putting propane in R12 ac system?

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
If it just seems like a bad idea to you please go away. If there’s an actual safety concern based on fact, voice your concerns. Next question will it actually work? I’ve got a 1992 truck with an r12 ac system. I already tried charging with 134 and it didn’t work very good and currently doesn’t work at all. Maybe the not working at all was unrelated but it still only cooled to like 55 degrees out the vents. It was better than not having it but not very chilly either. If the propane did work would it be an improvement?

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #2  
The temp drop across the evaporator coil is more important than some specific number,, like 55 degrees,,

If you actually get a 30 degree F drop,, the system is perfect,,
a 1992 truck, with the wrong refrigerant,, I would be ecstatic with 20 degrees drop.

I am not quoting actual numbers, but, a different way of evaluating if the AC is working,,
Temperature drop,, not some number,,

The cooler the incoming air, the cooler the delivered air,,

My 2018 truck seems as though the AC is broken of the windows are down,,
because the air entering the AC is hot,,,

roll up the windows,, 5 minutes later, the AC seems to be like a walk in freezer,,

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system?
If I could maintain 20 degrees cooler I’d be thrilled. But if it can’t beat the windows down than it’s pretty useless. Currently it doesn’t work at all. I haven’t determined if it’s a wiring issue or a bad compressor.

I'd be concerned about the potential Kaboom.

If my 2 pound system of propane is hazardous you better start a campaign to ban propane and natural gas vehicle. Not that gasoline is much if any better.

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #6  
Maybe it's just a matter of the propane then being part of the air circulation system. I drove two Propane cars for years. Propane sinks which isn't that big a deal in a vehicle and stinks pretty good to give you a heads up warning of a leak.

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #7  
You need enough pressure in the system to convert the gas propane back to liquid for it to work as a refrigerant. According to Google search that is 177 PSI @ 100F. The pressure would be less at a lower temp but I doubt you AC compressor is up to the task even at 80F.

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #8  
I have never heard of charging an AC system with propane. Just out of curiosity, where did you come up with the idea to do so? I am always up for learning something.

I have never heard of charging an AC system with propane. Just out of curiosity, where did you come up with the idea to do so? I am always up for learning something.

I’ve heard of it being done before after doing some reading it’s apparently a good refrigerant and not that uncommon in commercial coolers.

/ Putting propane in R12 ac system? #10  
You need enough pressure in the system to convert the gas propane back to liquid for it to work as a refrigerant. According to Google search that is 177 PSI @ 100F. The pressure would be less at a lower temp but I doubt you AC compressor is up to the task even at 80F.

If his compressor cannot develop 177 psi that is a problem in itself.