Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change

/ Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change #1  

rdinatal

Gold Member
Tractor
Old: 2016 eMax25s HST, New: 2017 Max 26xl HST
This is on an eMax25 but may relate to others.

I changed the gear oil in the front axle. There are 3 drains, no problem there. But there are two vents along with the fill/level cap. So, my question is... With the drain plugs in and the vent plugs out. Will oil put in the fill cap move to the outside steering/gear areas or do I need to pour oil into the vent cap for those areas??

My expectation was to leave the vents out and pour the oil in the fill, letting it level and fill the steering/gear voids.

The manual is lacking... (everyone say 'YES')

-R

Last edited:
   / Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change #2  
This is on an eMax25 but may relate to others.

I changed the gear oil in the front axle. There are 3 drains, no problem there. But there are two vents along with the fill/level cap. So, my question is... With the drain plugs in and the vent plugs out. Will oil put in the fill cap move to the outside steering/gear areas or do I need to pour oil into the vent cap for those areas??

My expectation was to leave the vents out and pour the oil in the fill. letting it level and fill the steering/gear voids.

The manual is lacking... (everyone say 'YES')

-R
YES!:thumbsup:

/ Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change #3  
You can add oil through any of those places as long as the full/level cap is removed to prevent/indicate over filling.
The front axle on a tractor lives a very easy life from a lubrication standpoint. Their is plenty of oil still in the steering ends to "survive" the first 100' of driving after the new oil has been added but hasn't worked its way through the internals. I point that out to put your mind at ease a bit- it will be just fine.

Btw- most would recommend replacing the front axle fluid with the hyd fluid in cold climates and regular gear oil in warmer climates. I know that's splitting hairs but it makes things a bit easier if you can "get away with" just adding hyd fluid- it's cheaper and typically more plentiful around a tractor owner's shop.

/ Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change
Thanks. I'll leave the vent caps off for 24hrs.

-R

/ Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change #5  
Thanks. I'll leave the vent caps off for 24hrs.

-R

I have a Max 26XL Shuttle and recently did the 50 hour service which includes replacing the front axle hydraulic fluid. My owner's manual said that after refilling the axle with 4 liters of UTF I was to remove the upper air bleed plugs and within 20 seconds or so fluid would come out the vent holes. It stated that one then replaces the plugs. I found that the first (2) liters poured into the fill hole without any drama but the 3rd liter started to overflow the top of the axle. I opened one of the air vent plugs and nothing came out. After waiting a bit the level in the fill hole went down and I was able to pour the rest of the UTF fluid in the top of the axle. The same thing happened when I poured the 4th liter into the fill hole. I opened the air bleed plug nearest the top fill hole and fluid started to slowly come out the vent plug hole. Again after a short wait I was able to pour the remainder of the fluid into the axle. I let the fluid sit for about 45 minutes or so and checked the fluid level plug on the left front side of the axle. With the fill cap on the fluid slowly came out the front level check plug which is supposed to indicate sufficient fluid in the axle.

I live (1) hour away from the dealer so I called them and talked to one of their mechanics about my experience refilling the front axle. He said that he has found that it takes a while for all the fluid to work itself thru the various gears and seals in the front axle. His advice was to slowly pour the fluid into the axle and let it sit a bit so that it drains down into the lower (2) gear cases. He thought that driving the tractor around for a short while would help the fluid to get to the gear cases. He went on to say that he has found if you look into the top fill hole and see the fluid is 1/2 to 3/4 covering the axle shaft that is a good indication of sufficient fluid level. I tried the visual check and it still looks like the fluid is on top of the axle shaft but since I measured the amount out I am going to go with the actual measured results.

I measured the 4 liters very carefully so even though I lost a bit when it overflowed the fill hole I feel that I have sufficient fluid in the axle. I rechecked the fluid level the next morning after letting it sit over night and with the top fill cap in place fluid did slowly come out the front fluid level plug hole.

I have found that the owner's manual is useful even with its various written mistakes but have not been overly impressed with the actual factory shop manual that I bought. Having written (3) technical manuals on dealing with computer driven manufacturing equipment in my younger days I was disappointed at the level of and lack of information in the shop manual that I could use for servicing my Max.

/ Question: 4WD Front Axle Gear Oil Change
Update...

After the axle was filled (max mark) and the vent caps off for 24hrs the oil only went down to the "low" mark in the dipstick. Just topped off and put all caps back on.

-R