Question about a drive way sensor

/ Question about a drive way sensor #1  

Billc

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 5400 4x4 with ROPS, canopy, 1001 loader, heavy duty quick release bucket with tooth bar, 280 Bush Hog brush cutter, 6' Bush Hog box blade, 6' Bush Hog plug aerator, 3 point hay spear, 6' Lands
We are putting in a electric gate this weekend. We are also wanting to get some type of driveway sensor. Our drive is very long (1/4 mile). Most of the time our gate is open. I am looking for a device that will ring, beep, grown, etc. to let me know someone is coming up the drive. Often times I am back at the shop which is well behind our house. I keep having people stop by but I never hear them. Those that know me know to go on back to the shop. However, most people don't come on back 'cause they don't know there's a shop is out back.

The sensor will have to be battery powered with a solar charger. It will have to be wireless. Any ideas?

/ Question about a drive way sensor #2  
Check out smarthome.com. They have a driveway sensor that can be rigged to do about anything electrical with a "powerflash" interface to your house. It's X-10 technology which is simple to add. Hope this helps.

Rob

/ Question about a drive way sensor
Thanks, Rob.

Bill Cook

/ Question about a drive way sensor #4  
the 1/4 mile distance might be a problem; but i have a dakata-alert on my drive way; its a motion detector tied to a transmitter, the receiver is in the house..the detector and transmitter operate from a 9volt battery; i "think" the distance between the tx and rx is advertised as "up to" 1000ft; it works well in my case, but if i were doing it again, i'd get the model they have that has a sensor hose that goes across the drive, it wouldn't false as often. nothern hydraulics has a couple drive way alerts in their catalog too..hope this helps
heehaw

/ Question about a drive way sensor #5  
I have a great driveway sensor, I also have a long driveway and very often I am also out of sight and would like to know if someone is coming up the driveway, my driveway sensor only cost around $50 dollars, is black, stands on 4 legs, weighs about 65lbs, and makes really loud noises when ever someone/something comes near the house...I do have to feed him everyday though....and let him out in the morning./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Question about a drive way sensor #6  
ejb, your driveway sensor sounds just about like mine. Although mine can be bribed, at least the UPS,FEDEX, and Mail drivers bribe her with part of their lunches, a donut, etc. Just proves that not everything is fool proof. :eek:)

Heehaw,

I'd have to go with a sensor hose under the drive as well. With the amount of deer we have the driveway sensor would need a new battery every other day. And the receiver in the house would sound like a pin ball machine. I'd have to take up hunting again. Don't think the Red Head would like that too much.

Thanks for the info.

Bill Cook

/ Question about a drive way sensor #8  
yep; 2:30AM this morning the dern thing went off; its "suppose" to require infrared heat and motion to activate, and its "suppose" to be immune to anything that weighs less than 60-70 pounds; well, my neighbors rooster sets it off, and if he weighed that much, i'd capture him and enter em in the state fair..my wifes white corolla doesn't set it off when its pretty cold outside..go figure??
heehaw

My Mom and Step-Dad had one on their drive way. It was high dollar. It was set off my magnetic fields. Animals would not set it off, but let a good lightning storm roll through and "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding." You'd have to disconnect it.

Bill Cook

/ Question about a drive way sensor #10  
One additional plus factor in the four footed variety of driveway sensor! They don't go off continuously for T-Storms! Course, They WILL go off continuously for almost anything else. Ours even thinks the private road crossing in front of the property is 'hers' to protect. She will bark at, chase, or stop anything coming up or down the road, just depends (to her I guess) on which method is most appropriate. She's better than a stock dog, when it comes to 'corralling' a truck out there on the road! Stays in the middle of the road until someone pays their 'dues' and gives her something to eat. Sorta embarrassing, you'd think we never feed her!