Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #1  

ohiogar

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300
Hello,
I need help...at least knowledgeable opinions.
I bought a John Deere 4400 tractor that had sat for many years without sheet metal. It was pretty much
sealed up BUT
They left the inlet and bypass hose bibs of the injector pump open with the nipples pointed up. From what I can see through the ports there is a lot of nasty rust and corrosion.
MY THOUGHT:
Mix either muriatic acid or Phosphoric acid with Diesel fuel and circulate that through the system via electric fuel pump until it cleans the residue.

ANY comments will be appreciated.
OR other ways to clean it.

NOTE: There is no way that I can see to clean this chamber even if the pump were removed and totally disassembled.
Regards Gary

Attachments

• 4400 injector pump.jpg
    4400 injector pump.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 246
   / Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #2  
Do yourself a favor and send the pump out to be rebuilt.......:2cents:

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump
Well here is the deal I think the motor is low hours and should be fine BUT
if it is junk I would have the cost of the pump repair.

How much does it cost to have the pump gone through? roughly

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #4  
Idk I guess it depends on how many parts are changed if you can see rust/corrosion it might be real bad inside...

I think it is just the diesel fuel chamber between the nipples that has corrosion.
all else looks really good.

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #6  
Any rust left in the pump will ruin the seals and injectors. Then you will spend more money . Why was it apart in the first place?

The tractor was bought from a Georgia technical school that trained JD mechanics. The program ended and the tractor
was just pushed out back. They had 3 4400's so this one ended up being the parts machine.
The inlet and bypass chamber on the pump for the diesel fuel is the only bad thing on this chassis. I think it is a low hour machine.

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #8  
Nice find.. You can call around and see how much for a rebuilt pump or to rebuild yours. Or try to flush it out first then go from there..

Nice find.. You can call around and see how much for a rebuilt pump or to rebuild yours. Or try to flush it out first then go from there..

That's what I was thinking ...Use a weak solution and maybe I won't hurt much.
The acid will not hurt rubber. If diesel fuel and acid are compatible I don't see much downside.

/ Question Cleaning Yanmar Injection Pump #10  
That's what I was thinking ...Use a weak solution and maybe I won't hurt much.
The acid will not hurt rubber. If diesel fuel and acid are compatible I don't see much downside.

Good luck.....:)