Snow Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #1  

Doofy

Tractor
LS XR 3135HC
What do you use to keep your chutes, blowers and plows slick, to better sling and shed snow? I ran out of silicone spray and have resorted to stealthily sneaking out with the wife's "PAM" cooking spray. It works well but there has to be something better. Thanks!

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #2  
Doofy - what the hey - it can't be so warm in Glennallen that the snow is sticking inside your blower. Normally, the cause of "sticking snow" is a substantial temperature difference between the outside snow and the temperature of your blower. Blower stored in warm shed - below zero outside = snow sticks everywhere in blower. OR - you are attempting to blow wet snow.

Answer to the first - move blower outside and let it get as cold as the snow before you use it.

Answer to the second - quit trying and wait until it gets colder outside.

I've only tried silicone spray once. It worked OK but didn't last very long. That's when I learned to quit trying to plow/blow wet snow.

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #3  
I agree with the above. That and just try and keep wet snow moving at a good volume and velocity. That will keep it clear. Blow in spurts if you have to. Moving along with a tiny bit of wet snow coming out will build up and plug up.

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #4  
I agree with oosik....don't have a warm blower. I even put my shovels out so they are cold. Get a spray bottle with diesel fuel and wet the impeller and chute area.

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #5  
Another factoid - If you should have to stop blowing for any reason - back up 4 or 5 feet so the snow in front of the blower doesn't plug up in the auger, impeller or chute. This also lets you get the operation up to full speed before you "hit the snow again".

There is nothing more irritating than trying to blow "sticky" snow. When I used a blower - I sheared many shear pins when sticky snow would freeze in the blower. Engage the PTO and BAM!!

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers
Doofy - what the hey - it can't be so warm in Glennallen that the snow is sticking inside your blower. Normally, the cause of "sticking snow" is a substantial temperature difference between the outside snow and the temperature of your blower. Blower stored in warm shed - below zero outside = snow sticks everywhere in blower. OR - you are attempting to blow wet snow.

Answer to the first - move blower outside and let it get as cold as the snow before you use it.

Answer to the second - quit trying and wait until it gets colder outside.

I've only tried silicone spray once. It worked OK but didn't last very long. That's when I learned to quit trying to plow/blow wet snow.

Hahahaha. HAD to plow. 20" of wet, heavy, obnoxious snow. Had a Chinook...went from -16 to +35 in a few hours. One of the 3 warmest winters on record so far. It Sucks.

Agree, to letting the iron get to outside temperature before using but couldn't this time around. Thompson Pass got 40" of wet, heavy snow in 12 hours and at one point set a record of 10" per hour.

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #7  
Most silicone sprays have a bunch of water in it so you have to spray and let it dry. If you wipe that pure silicone tire blacken stuff on the blower, everything will be nice and slickery...even your hands!

I agree with oosik....don't have a warm blower. I even put my shovels out so they are cold. Get a spray bottle with diesel fuel and wet the impeller and chute area.

I'll try some diesel in a spray bottle. What about some propylene glycol in a spray bottle? Have lots of it.

Most silicone sprays have a bunch of water in it so you have to spray and let it dry. If you wipe that pure silicone tire blacken stuff on the blower, everything will be nice and slickery...even your hands!

I'll try that too. I remember there use to be a coating for grain trucks and farm equipment that was super slick...just can't remember the name.

/ Question for all you Snow Blowers out there...and Plowers #10  
Doofy - never had to experience a Chinook/Williwa while living in Glennallen - I'll never forget the cold. Guess you are lucky that you don't have to travel the Richardson thru Thompson Pass down to Valdez. We sure had the Chinooks while we lived in Anchorage.