Question for long time reloaders.

/ Question for long time reloaders. #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I am trying to find true rifle loads for my 38-40 Winchester 92. All of the current data that I have found are for pistol only but I know Winchester had some time prior loaded a 180gr bullet to almost 1800fps. What with a flood and a move I cannot find any of my old loading books. All of the data I can find does not go above about 1150 fps. The Cowboy action loads are much less.

I need some high velocity data for a starting point. The feral pigs are getting active around here and I want to be prepared for them.

Vernon

P.S. This may need going back into the 60's and the 70's maybe earlier.

/ Question for long time reloaders. #2  
Only data for one bullet for rifle in Lyman 46

172 gr cast bullet, velocities around 1560 tops.
I never loaded for the caliber. They have the most accurate as ten and a half grains of Unique with the above bullet for a velocity of 1515.

/ Question for long time reloaders. #3  
Hiya,

You picked one of the toughest cartridges to get hot rod data on. Those cowboy balloon head pistol/rifle cases make all the loading data people lawyer right up cause of the pending litigation if it goes pop in your old black powder conversion.

I looked in some late 70-early 80's data books I have and no luck getting to 1800fps, 1400 was the best I could find. My buddy has some old Herter's books from the 50-60's. I'll be over his place tomorrow so I'll take a look. Best I can offer.

Tom

Just an idea but that new Marlin lever gun in 308 Marlin is right there with the .308 Win, my buddy has one, really nice shooter out to 200 yards. If I was looking for a lever gun, I would get one .

/ Question for long time reloaders.
Hiya,

You picked one of the toughest cartridges to get hot rod data on. Those cowboy balloon head pistol/rifle cases make all the loading data people lawyer right up cause of the pending litigation if it goes pop in your old black powder conversion.

I looked in some late 70-early 80's data books I have and no luck getting to 1800fps, 1400 was the best I could find. My buddy has some old Herter's books from the 50-60's. I'll be over his place tomorrow so I'll take a look. Best I can offer.

Tom

Just an idea but that new Marlin lever gun in 308 Marlin is right there with the .308 Win, my buddy has one, really nice shooter out to 200 yards. If I was looking for a lever gun, I would get one .

I have new Starline brass which are solid head. I also plan to use 150gr JHP if I can find comparable data. I have a mold, Lyman 40143, (old numbering) but dont want to start casting again right now.

I prefer the old Browning designed Winchester lever guns. About the prettiest ever made.

I started reloading in the early 50's, wish I could find some of my old loading manuals

What ever you can find will be appreciated :D

Vernon

Last edited:
   / Question for long time reloaders. #5  
im not a reloader by any means but.... i did stay at holiday in last night...

As Eddie can attest to, and as the people i know, are shooting at those kinds of targets (pigs, coyotes etc) are in the 200-300 yard range. And most i know of are shooting a .223 or 22-250 for that range and size varmint.

but something doesnt add up when you start looking at the bullet weights and fps. with .223/22-250 your looking at 45-60 gr at 3000-2500 fps.

so the idea that your going to push 180 gr down range at 1800fps.... and NOT put it in a high power rifle cartridge...

/ Question for long time reloaders. #6  
http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/d...40&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

This was the only load data I could find online was this one. I'll dig though my data manuals and see if I can find anything better.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=38-40&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

One thing is you are going to need a chrony, start low and work your load up. But I don't know what kind of load that gun can take. The above load will give you some fps and such to work with.

Last edited:
   / Question for long time reloaders. #7  
I didn't have any loadbooks that showed anything but pistol data, here is a link to an article about some loads including rifle loads.

Taffin Tests: the .38-40

/ Question for long time reloaders.
This was the only load data I could find online was this one. I'll dig though my data manuals and see if I can find anything better.

38-40 Load Data - Handloads.Com

One thing is you are going to need a chrony, start low and work your load up. But I don't know what kind of load that gun can take. The above load will give you some fps and such to work with.

I found that one but thanks. I am collecting all loads I can find and hopefully come up with some consistent data.

The Winchester 92 action is quite strong but it is chambered in cartridges that were used in black powder weapons. Given the fact that people don't read or ignore warning labels ammunition manufacturers and publishers of reloading data go to watered down ballistics for fear of legal liability. As to this I have noticed that over the years reloading data has been "watered down" considerably.

Since we still have stuff that is not unpacked I am going to do some more searching for my old reloading data.

I want to use this gun since it easy to handle, available, has open sights, can deliver a heavy bullet and is not particularly loud.

Vernon

Last edited:
   / Question for long time reloaders. #9  
I have Ken Waters "Pet Loads" books. There is an 5 page writeup on the .38WCF in there. It is a reprint basically, of his January 1975 article. He has a bunch of 180gr loads, but not that hot. He also talks about the various actions and their relative strength. He did test some 180gr-JSP in a Win-92, and was bumping 1800fps.

PM me if you want me to scan and email.

I am trying to find true rifle loads for my 38-40 Winchester 92. All of the current data that I have found are for pistol only but I know Winchester had some time prior loaded a 180gr bullet to almost 1800fps. What with a flood and a move I cannot find any of my old loading books. All of the data I can find does not go above about 1150 fps. The Cowboy action loads are much less.

I need some high velocity data for a starting point. The feral pigs are getting active around here and I want to be prepared for them.

Vernon

P.S. This may need going back into the 60's and the 70's maybe earlier.

/ Question for long time reloaders. #10  
I looked in my Speer handbook and the fastest load is 1514fps. Thats using 12.5 gr N105 powder pushing a 180 grain FN bullet. All the other loads are quite a bit slower.

I like the older calibers, too. I have a Winchester 1895 built by Browning in a 30-40 Krag. Also have a Browning lever gun in 257 Roberts.
Have two Marlin 1895's in 45-70 Govt. Load those up to about 2100fps and they'll wake you up!