Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Several years ago, California put a legal limit on faucet flow rates to 1.8 gallons per minute. Because California rules the market place, faucet manufacturers placed that limit on faucets sold all over the US.
So, do any of our Canadian friends know if faucets sold there are limited to 1.8 or do they have more generous flow rates? I'll be in Vancouver in a little while and hope Canada didn't follow California and I could buy a new kitchen faucet there.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #2  
I just know we take that little thingie out and throw it in the garbage.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #3  
what he said... if you want more flow... just find the little plastic disk with a small hole in it.... drill the hole bigger or throw out the disc... = more flow

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #4  
I just know we take that little thingie out and throw it in the garbage.
Is that all it is? I'm guessing our EPA has made it tougher than that for any faucet sold in the US...probably tied to the copper supply lines that are now soldered into the faucet (1/4" maybe???). That can easily be customized to country of sale. Btw I have heard of people "smuggling" Canadian toilets into the country...we have been "limited" there as well (as the OP said, we all suffer for what California wants). Of course we have developed "power-flush" stuff to compensate...reminds me that I have to deal with the recall notice for my units so my toilets don't explode...whether I am sitting on it or not when it happens, take a toilet out of service in any house while you wait for parts...More reasons most of us hope that California secedes.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #5  
The device is on the end of the faucet where the water comes out is called the aerator. It can be removed (by hand when new) by unscrewing it. Once it's off you will find several "layers" that restrict flow and add air to the water stream. As stated above, the parts can be modified and or removed to increase flow.
The same (as far as removing or modifying) is true for the shower head.

This was born out of the water shortage in So. Cal

With that, the reason to buy in CA would be the exchange rate.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #6  
Have done this a bunch (I have an apartment building) - it's usually a plastic or ceramic disk in the outflow part of the faucet. Sometimes they get fancy and it's attached, but it's easy to drill out. Usually the higher end stuff is just removable.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #7  
I go a step further. I only buy taps where the supply tube is to be connected to a 1/2" fitting rather than the smaller tubes soldered into some. Then I run 1/2" copper directly to the taps rather than using supply tubes. This gives a noticeably better flow rate. I also ran 1 1/4" well drop all the way to my yard hydrants. Everbody is impressed with my "fire hoses". California would go nuts over my geothermal furnace that uses the water once and then throws it away in an open loop system. The water goes back into the ground, it isn't wasted.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #8  
   / Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #9  
I have 100 + psi from a gravity system and removed the water savers from the shower heads but I would'nt mess with the screens in kitchen taps unless you want a bath every time you turn a tap on the aerating is for a reason. There is no restriction with bath tub taps.

/ Question for our Canadian friends Re: faucet flow rates #10  
I go a step further. I only buy taps where the supply tube is to be connected to a 1/2" fitting rather than the smaller tubes soldered into some. Then I run 1/2" copper directly to the taps rather than using supply tubes. This gives a noticeably better flow rate. I also ran 1 1/4" well drop all the way to my yard hydrants. Everbody is impressed with my "fire hoses". California would go nuts over my geothermal furnace that uses the water once and then throws it away in an open loop system. The water goes back into the ground, it isn't wasted.
Your "taps" are hard to find here! Follow a typical supply and you'll see that it goes from 1/2" to maybe 1/4". I guess people in California don't know that they can regulate the flow with the faucet handle(s). They ain't too smart out there. On the toilet front, a plumber friend says ours save water on each flush but you have to flush more than once...