Question for the electric utility/line crews.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
This is at the end of my road where it Tees off the main state road. The main power circuit runs along the highway. This branch travels about 4 miles serving around 20 houses, then dead ends.

The transformer is less than half the size of the one for the residential service drops.

Note what the two read arrows point to. Is the one hanging on the pole some kind of shunt or lockout they would insert above if they need to turn power off to the road for some reason?

PowerQuestion1.jpg
PowerQuestion2.jpg

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #2  
That is a fusible link or "trap". When it is installed the line is hot when it is out the line is de-energized. It serves as a protection for lightning & as a safe way to kill power down the line for service.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #3  
The line on the left is the source. On the right is the load tap.
The can is a breaker, or recloser, more commonly.
The red arrows point to a fuse holder and its fusible link.
The fuse assembly is for repair or replacement of the breaker.
A bypass, in layman's terms.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #4  
Looks just like the fusible link on mine. No idea what all that garbage attached to the top of the can is.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #5  
The fusible link on my pole just services my house. I have seen it tripped only once (in 55 years) because of lightening.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #6  
It's a single phase re-closer not a transformer, it will trip and reclose twice before locking out if the fault on the line doesn't clear itself, the other thing is a fused cutout that would be used as a by-pass switch in case the recloser needs to be changed out, the door with a fuse inside of it is hanging on the pole, pretty common rural set-up. Are you served by a co-op?, looks like co-op specs.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews. #7  
Didn't pay close enough attention to see that the question had already been answered.

/ Question for the electric utility/line crews.
The line on the left is the source. On the right is the load tap.
The can is a breaker, or recloser, more commonly.
The red arrows point to a fuse holder and its fusible link.
The fuse assembly is for repair or replacement of the breaker.
A bypass, in layman's terms.

It's a single phase re-closer not a transformer, it will trip and reclose twice before locking out if the fault on the line doesn't clear itself, the other thing is a fused cutout that would be used as a by-pass switch in case the recloser needs to be changed out, the door with a fuse inside of it is hanging on the pole, pretty common rural set-up.
Cool. Makes sense. We got a lot of outages 20-25 years ago where a tree would drop during a storm and touch while it was wet. Then it would be out until a crew came out to inspect and reset. Maybe this is an answer to that. I've seen it drop for a few seconds, then come right back on in more recent years.

Are you served by a co-op?, looks like co-op specs.
Ah-yup.