Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930 #1  

JD5210

Veteran Member
Tractor
5210 MFWD
An 87 year old friend had a flasher issue with his 3930 tractor. I fixed it and in the process, I noticed the 25amp fuse for the thermostart was missing. I put a new in. Is there a dash light or some other way to see, if this is working without finding it under the hood?

His fuel gauge does not work. I am guessing it is the sender. Is there an easy to get to it, short of removing the piece the instrument cluster is on and were on the fuel tank is located?

When I went to take the key out of the ignition it would not come out, he said this is the way it is. Is there a way to take it out?

Thanks in advance for help with this.

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930 #2  
It's a 26 year old tractor. The key has probably never been asked to come out and is pretty stuck , rusted, frozen, whatever in place. If you really feel the need to get it out a good shot of penetrating oil and some patience might get it out without breaking it in half.
I'm guessing that the fuse for the thermostat is for the gauge on the dashboard. If the temperature gauge needle moves when the tractor is warm then the fuse works.
When my fuel gauge stopped working the cause and the fix were the wires behind the dash having been chewed by mice; kind of common. Easy to loosen the dash cover and look behind it to see if mice have done the damage. To access the sending unit you'd remove some sheet metal then follow the wires to the sending unit.

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930 #4  
Indeed. ThermostaRt. My mistake, and I have no ideas for a down home test of one.
(I was wondering why a thermostat needed fusing.)

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930 #5  
Regarding your stuck key:

Penetrating oil, vice grips and a slide puller worked for me on an old truck mount (piggyback) forklift I bought.

IMG_1025.JPG

BTW. I bought a 3930 new in 1992(ish). The cabs for that model DIDNT have an a/c option at the time. Traded it in after the first summer. Not one of my brighter purchases.

Terry

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930 #6  
Oops. Double post

Terry

/ Questions on a 1990 Ford 3930
Thanks I will give that a try.