Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #1  

jjeff

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota l2850, kubota l4150
annoyed with leaving indentations of a vice in my saws bars when servicing, bench testing saws, sharpening chains and annoyed with trying to balance saw/ old scraps of wood and tighten the vise I threw together a "jig"that drops in to vice. Used scraps of wood 1x, a scrap of 1/4" plywood and 5 mins of my time, its worked better than expected for what I needed and cost nothing. I apologize if something like this was posted before, and I'm sure there are better ways.

Attachments

• KIMG1375.JPG
    KIMG1375.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
  • KIMG1374.JPG
    KIMG1374.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 174
   / Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #2  
Good idea for multiple uses jjeff. I use "soft jaws" on my mill and would rather they stay there. Do you think magnets on the wood blocks would work too?

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise.
Good idea for multiple uses jjeff. I use "soft jaws" on my mill and would rather they stay there. Do you think magnets on the wood blocks would work too?
Fastening magnets to pieces of wood is a great idea also. Didn't even think of that.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #4  
I keep a couple pieces of 1" aluminum angle on the bench that are cut to the vice jaw width. But the wood blocks would be better for chainsaws.

I have a chain vice that chucks into my bench vice and works with longer chains. With smaller bars and often larger ones I just leave the saw on the bench. I'm not saying that it's better but I'm so used to working with a saw that's not held in a vice so I often don't even think about it.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #5  
I agree, magnets on wooden soft jaws is a great idea that would make them much easier to use. I'll be trying that.

I keep a couple pieces of 1" aluminum angle on the bench that are cut to the vice jaw width. But the wood blocks would be better for chainsaws.

I have a chain vice that chucks into my bench vice and works with longer chains. With smaller bars and often larger ones I just leave the saw on the bench. I'm not saying that it's better but I'm so used to working with a saw that's not held in a vice so I often don't even think about it.
I came up with the idea of securing it in a vice for a few reasons, its especially handy when I'm trying to dial in a carb when it's running, plus since I've started locking a saw in a vice I've never had one fall off the bench when working on it. For me anyway it's made working on my saws much easier especially when they need to run while doing it.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #7  
i just use the steel jaws on the vice. my bar looks nicer than the pics above. never a issue for years

i just use the steel jaws on the vice. my bar looks nicer than the pics above. never a issue for years
Yep same thing here to til I started using a different new to me old Columbia vise the jaws were a bit more aggressive and always marred the steel on the bar. So I started trying to put pieces of wood in between the jaws and bar unfortunately I only have two hands lol. Like I said it works for me.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #9  
I like clamping the bar in the vise. I'm a professional.

/ Quick easy to make jig to hold chainsaw in a bench vise. #10  
I often build special jigs and tools for tasks I do often.
But I've never even checked if the vise made marks on the saw bar.
I consider the saw bar a wear item that is replaceable.
I intend to wear that bar out.

I like how the vise saves a lot of time when sharpening the chain.