Racing RPM's

/ Racing RPM's #1  

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
I just had an experience for the second time this week. I'm scraping the gravel road with my rear blade and snowblower loaded but not engaged and all of a sudden the engine races and the rpm needle maxes out. I got it back to the house, shut it off, restarted it and a few seconds later it did it again. Repeated and now it appears fine. I checked my mid and rear PTO and both are disengaged.

Any ideas?

/ Racing RPM's #2  
I'll let the experts chime in on this as I'm no diesel expert. It's getting more fuel that you want it to have. From somewhere...

-R

/ Racing RPM's #3  
Since you can shut it down, it's not ingesting oil through the intake or internal engine leaks past the rings or valve guides, so it must be a defect in the injector pump, or one or more injectors over fueling.

/ Racing RPM's
Bumping to see if there's any more ideas.

Out today scraping and sanding for about 1.5 hours. It started in the last 15 minutes. Starts back up with no issues but then starts racing.

/ Racing RPM's #5  
Is the engine actually racing, or just the tach? There has been a problem reports with various model GCs with the tach in winter. Its either moisture of cold related.

Is this what your tractor does?

/ Racing RPM's #6  
Have you checked all your throttle linkages to make sure nothing has fallen on them or gotten stuck somewhere?

/ Racing RPM's
Is the engine actually racing, or just the tach? There has been a problem reports with various model GCs with the tach in winter. Its either moisture of cold related. Is this what your tractor does?

This is exactly what it's doing. I wasn't sure if the engine is racing but that high pitch noise made me think it was a PTO.

Have you heard of any cures?

/ Racing RPM's #8  
This is exactly what it's doing. I wasn't sure if the engine is racing but that high pitch noise made me think it was a PTO.

Have you heard of any cures?

So the good news is its just the tach, not the engine running away on you.

If I recall, there are a couple threads out there, here or on other forums. I think...pulling from deep in my memory bank here....there was one guy who used as couple drops of wd-40 on the tach where the cable/housing screws onto it. Again, google will be produce more reliable results than my memory!

/ Racing RPM's
So the good news is its just the tach, not the engine running away on you. If I recall, there are a couple threads out there, here or on other forums. I think...pulling from deep in my memory bank here....there was one guy who used as couple drops of wd-40 on the tach where the cable/housing screws onto it. Again, google will be produce more reliable results than my memory!

Thanks geek, I've researched it as you suggested and I found many discussions on the GC tach issue.

I will try the solutions some have had success with. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup: